Mouse.Initialize

Aug 28, 2010 at 1:20 AM

What the hell is with you guys and commenting out code? WTF? BTW, I can't even bloody use the new solution now, Cuz I'm using VS2010, but never mind because I am using MS4. But now when I want to use the bloody

mouse you guys comment out the bloody code? WTF is wrong with you???

Coordinator
Aug 28, 2010 at 12:56 PM

I have two choices in how to reply to vulgar posts. Typically I can ignore them. But that seems to only encourage more. So let me try to reply as politely as you have in your request.

What kind of stupid does it take to ask for help with such vulgarity? Did you ever think that we might have commented out because THERE MIGHT HAVE BEEN AN ISSUE with it? Or maybe we commented it out because we had to make other things work like I  dunno, the compiler and the installer? Oh yea... lets see you try to use a mouse if the installer doesn't work! How much fun would that be??? Oh geee... Using 2010? What the hell is wrong with you? Can't you read? The release notes say 2010 isn't supported yet!!!!!!!

Aug 28, 2010 at 1:07 PM

I apologise for my rudeness. Anyways, why do you guys comment it out anyway? It works fine. Yes, I added Mouse.cs to my project and uncommented it but

what about the others who want to use it? PS: I think either you or smrede told me VS2010 should be ready by the end of August...

Coordinator
Aug 28, 2010 at 1:21 PM

I'm not sure what the issue was, but we don't just comment out stuff randomly.

We were targeting V2010 by end of August, but Express has caused us a lot of delays. We almost have Express done, then we can look at 2010 more.

Developer
Aug 31, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Commenting out code is, just, done. I don't mind the lack of mouse, I want to make a textmode OS.

I've been reading posts here for quite a few months now even though I only registered earlier today, and I have noticed quite a few people coming here and expecting Cosmos to be the all-in-one wonder solution that does everything and allows everyone to create their own OS with their own GUI and mouse functions etc. It doesn't work like that. Cosmos is a pretty brilliant piece of code, writing an OS, especially in managed code, is not the easiest thing to do, and adding a GUI and mouse support is not a 5 minute job. How long do you think it took to develop Windows?

The people developing Cosmos have done, and still are doing, a very good job, and with this, just think, you can make text mode whatever you want. Sure, you can try implementing the mouse code and a GUI yourself, but why would you want to? Text mode's cool!

Sep 1, 2010 at 5:36 AM

Textmode's Gay. Anyways, this conversation does not involve you. I don't care how long it took to develop windows, or even how long it takes to develop OSX. All I care is that I can make my own OS without having to code in assembly. I thank the Cosmos Devs for that, not you or Bill Gates or Steve Jobs. Who do you think you are? If the Devs wanted to make a textmode OS, why include Mouse.cs? or even VGAScreen.cs? Never thought about that, eh? I don't care how long it takes to make a GUI with a mouse, wether 5 minutes or 5 days, as long as there is a finished product. The journey is important, but what of it when all you get after 2 week's worth of hard work is something that people look down upon? Actually I wanted a GUI a long time ago, I just didn't have the time. Search for XCube OS Update 1 on YouTube and see the comment that GruntLover2 posted. See his video response. Right now, people use Cosmos to make a GUI OS. Look at HackrInc's OS. Look at AEOS. Most of the OSes on YouTube made with Cosmos have a GUI. People want a GUI, dude. Maybe you come from the 60's and learned the commands of MS-DOS my heart, I don't know, I don't care. People want something to click, they don't want to memorise numerous commands to start a program. They want to click, click, Yes and go. People want convenience, not inconvenience. Look at an example: Who prefers UNIX's command line to Ubuntu, Debian or any GUI? think for yourself, Go back in time and present people with Windows 7. Will people want Windows 7 or stick with MS-DOS? Even Bill Gates would be amazed that he would create such awesomeness. Please, don't be gay. Think of others. Imagine what would happen if a compulsory update to every Windows os makes the GUI moot and switched to a Textmode system? Everyone would sue Bill Gates. The world has adjusted to like in an era of graphics. Simply text and keyboards won't sell today. Think: Even MIKEOS, an ASSEMBLY operating system, has a GUI! You my friend, are using C#. C#! Compare that to assembly, which is easier? Moving data around data slots and shifting bits, or setting pixels on screen with a simple VGAScreen.SetPixel? Ask yourself. You my friend, are NOT the world's consensus.

Developer
Sep 1, 2010 at 5:49 AM

Just to point out MikeOS is a textmode GUI.  You don't need advanced drawing functions to create a type of GUI.  Just look at all of the curses apps. By the way, if you absolutely need those functions, then dive right in an create them yourself! That's what opensource is all about!

PS. And just to reiterate what kudzu said, everything that it is commented out is done so for a reason.

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:48 PM

seriously requimrar i have my own draw class with methods for rectangles filled and not, circles filled and not, lines in multiple degrees, charactors, strings, and icons for arrays.

Coordinator
Sep 3, 2010 at 11:56 AM
xdalutzx wrote:

seriously requimrar i have my own draw class with methods for rectangles filled and not, circles filled and not, lines in multiple degrees, charactors, strings, and icons for arrays.

Why not contribute it?

Developer
Sep 3, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Right, first of all, yes, I do like the text mode. Unix. On Ubuntu. I also like the GUI. And also, no, I'm not from the 60's.

You expect just everything to be done for you, as if by magic. It doesn't work like that.

I could write a GUI in if I wanted to. But I don't. And I don't want to 'sell' my OS. Text mode still does sell.

Windows Server Core. Text mode. Not true text mode, but it's a text window. People buy that and use it.

Ubuntu Server. People use it.

Mac OS, has text mode. People buy that and use it.

Text mode isn't dead yet, if it was modern hardware wouldn't support it. But it does.

Sep 3, 2010 at 11:00 PM

lol my dad work for the provincial government and the entire system for almost all government jobs is still text mode ... maybe cause we live in saskatchewan.

Sep 3, 2010 at 11:02 PM

oh and about my draw stuff its cause there are hundreds of litttle bugs and nothing tests the parameters to see if there valid, ive had the whole program stop and not respond, its annoying but working with a crappy bug filled class is bettter than no class. and dont wory its at the top of my list to fix when im not working on an asm version

Developer
Sep 4, 2010 at 2:27 PM
Edited Sep 4, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Meh, at least it works in a way.

To be fair, it's nice to have a GUI, I did see a 'MonoCurses' library :)

I wonder what can be done with this pixel writing...

Edit: Anyway, my developer application was accepted, time to download VS2008 from DreamSpark...

Also, apologies if I sounded a bit rude in my last few posts.

Coordinator
Sep 4, 2010 at 3:51 PM
Eh, there's a mono.curses library, done by the monoguys, which is badsically justr a wrapper... we intended to plug it, but it turned out to be less important than other stuff...

On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 3:27 PM, neonsonicboy <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Meh, at least it works in a way.

To be fair, it's nice to have a GUI, I did see a 'MonoCurses' library :)

I wonder what can be done with this pixel writing...

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Developer
Sep 6, 2010 at 3:38 PM

VS2010 is far too big for me to download from Dreamspark, so when Express support is finished I'll see what I can do in terms of development.

Coordinator
Sep 6, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Cant you get it a bit at a time? MSDN has a download manager which can resume. Doesn't Dreamspark have the same?

Developer
Sep 7, 2010 at 1:20 PM

It does, but it doesn't work very well, I've used it before. :(

I've just checked though and it's not nearly as big as I remember! Only 7 hours to go, 2.2GB.

Sep 7, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Eh, can someone close this topic? It's going from commenting out Mouse.Initialise() to downloading VS2010 on DreamSpark????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Coordinator
Sep 7, 2010 at 3:06 PM

The only way to close the discussion is to stop replying.