File writing

Sep 1, 2010 at 5:43 AM

Hi, I have seen many discussions on Cosmos before about the same thing but none of you have ever given a definite answer. When exactly are you guys going to make a filesystem writing function? Besides, I know you guys need to update the installer, compiler and all, but what OS is complete without file writing? \

Think: OPERATING system. How does it help? It OPERATES on your data. but what good is that when all that data is gone upon a reboot? Yeah, maybe reading is good. But to really OPERATE on something, a system needs to have IO, two-way input-output. I suggest you guys implement writing soon. If not, is there a way I could help? I only know C# BTW.

Coordinator
Sep 1, 2010 at 12:22 PM

There are already the basics of FAT and EXT2 in the repository. It's just that the kernel architecture has changed quite a bit so they may not work.

There is not much point in getting these to work until the kernel structure is finalised and we have a proper driver/device framework (which  I think Chad has been working on?)

Sep 1, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Ok, thanks anyway. Could you give me some kind of date expectation or something?

Coordinator
Sep 2, 2010 at 1:34 AM

Depends how many people work on it. I expect 2 months probably.

Coordinator
Sep 2, 2010 at 2:36 AM

Yes Im working on the PCI stuff and driver model, and Im using ATA (IDE) to flesh it out. But not only did we need PCI, but we also need PIT/RTC support for ATA, so I have to complete that first... And all of this including ATA before we can really look at file systems again.

Sep 2, 2010 at 10:35 AM

OK, is there a way I could help without using asm? BTW why have I not got accepted even though I think I requested last weekend?