How to a a file system???

Oct 29, 2010 at 12:49 AM

Now that I have a good nice stable OS I'd like to add a file system because its all off a live cd I want to make an install program so i can install it to a hard drive but I need to know how to make a file system?????

Please help.

Coordinator
Oct 29, 2010 at 12:57 AM
On 10/28/2010 7:50 PM, anti149 wrote:
> Now that I have a good nice stable OS I'd like to add a file system
> because its all off a live cd I want to make an install program so i can
> install it to a hard drive but I need to know how to make a file system?????

There are a lot of docs on filesystems, try www.osdev.com and wikipedia.
Developer
Dec 4, 2010 at 5:33 PM

I don't think it would be possible to write a filesystem when Fat, Fat16,Fat32 or NTFS is not supported yet! Also trying to add asm code to cosmos is a pain. I have tried using platform indepent libraries but it still does work. No even multitasking or threads are supported. Cosmos needs C++ or asm for a filesystem. I have a Cool GUI OS but it still can't read a floppy drive. I need a filesystem badly!

I don't like the linux filesystems because they are too complicated. If someone could help with the filesystem that would be great!

Coordinator
Dec 4, 2010 at 10:14 PM
On 12/4/2010 1:33 PM, forest201 wrote:
> I don't think it would be possible to write a filesystem when Fat,
> Fat16,Fat32 or NTFS is not supported yet! Also trying to add asm code to

Those are file systems.

> cosmos is a pain. I have tried using platform indepent libraries but it
> still does work. No even multitasking or threads are supported. Cosmos

Because they will be C++ or binary, and depend on POSIX or other
dependencies.

> needs C++ or asm for a filesystem. I have a Cool GUI OS but it still

No, thats exactly what it does NOT needs. If you want C++ and ASM, try
Linux.

> can't read a floppy drive. I need a filesystem badly!

Then dive in and write it. Floppy isnt that hard.
Developer
Dec 4, 2010 at 11:52 PM

I have tried making a floppy driver but cosmos doesn't surpport BIOS interrupts.

Coordinator
Dec 5, 2010 at 9:02 AM
And we dont want to. using BIOS interrupts is what made Windows 95/98 freeze all the time. Also, BIOS interrupts isn't needed...



On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 12:52 AM, forest201 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: forest201

I have tried making a floppy driver but cosmos doesn't surpport BIOS interrupts.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com


Coordinator
Dec 5, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Have you read http://wiki.osdev.org/Floppy_Disk_Controller ?

 

The floppy controller is programmed through 9 registers, which can be accessed through IO ports 0x3F0 through 0x3F7 (excluding 0x3F6). As usual on the PC architecture, some of those IO ports access different controller registers depending on whether you read from or write to them. Note that code snippets and datasheets name these registers based on their trigrams (e.g. SRA, MSR, DIR, CCR, etc.). Use standard "outb" and "inb" commands to access the registers.

Coordinator
Dec 5, 2010 at 2:43 PM
On 12/5/2010 5:02 AM, mterwoord wrote:
> And we dont want to. using BIOS interrupts is what made Windows 95/98
> freeze all the time. Also, BIOS interrupts isn't needed...

BIOS calls are for 16 bit code only. Cosmos is 32 bit.
Coordinator
Dec 5, 2010 at 2:45 PM
On 12/4/2010 7:52 PM, forest201 wrote:
> I have tried making a floppy driver but cosmos doesn't surpport BIOS
> interrupts.

Its not Cosmos that doesnt support intterupts. Its the Intel chipset
when in 32 bit mode that doesnt support BIOS calls.
Coordinator
Dec 5, 2010 at 2:56 PM
Chad, not true: there's the virtual 8086 mode, which lets you create 16bit processes which can be used for running BIOS interrupts while in 32bit protected mode. Nonetheless, we dont want that...


On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 3:45 PM, kudzu <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: kudzu

On 12/4/2010 7:52 PM, forest201 wrote:
> I have tried making a floppy driver but cosmos doesn't surpport BIOS
> interrupts.

Its not Cosmos that doesnt support intterupts. Its the Intel chipset
when in 32 bit mode that doesnt support BIOS calls.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com


Coordinator
Dec 5, 2010 at 5:19 PM
On 12/5/2010 10:56 AM, mterwoord wrote:
> Chad, not true: there's the virtual 8086 mode, which lets you create
> 16bit processes which can be used for running BIOS interrupts while in
> 32bit protected mode. Nonetheless, we dont want that...

It has such serious side effects, that essentially its not available.