GUI Please help!

Dec 6, 2010 at 2:16 AM

Ok I made a gui for my os but my qustion is is it possible to have a higher VGA resulotion? My oses reselution is 320x200x8 but can I make it any higher ?

Coordinator
Dec 6, 2010 at 1:49 PM
On 12/5/2010 11:16 PM, Grunt wrote:
> Ok I made a gui for my os but my qustion is is it possible to have a
> higher VGA resulotion? My oses reselution is 320x200x8 but can I make it
> any higher ?

You can go to 640x480. After that there is no standard, and drivers are
needed for each chipset type.
Dec 6, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Well I have tried to set 640x480 Resulotion but the screen is all messed up and I have tired every thing. Do you need the Dev kit?

Coordinator
Dec 6, 2010 at 10:43 PM
On 12/6/2010 7:18 PM, Grunt wrote:
> Well I have tried to set 640x480 Resulotion but the screen is all messed
> up and I have tired every thing. Do you need the Dev kit?

I think graphics are not working in teh dev kit currently.
Coordinator
Dec 7, 2010 at 6:54 AM
Dont think so either. They're not yet adjusted to the kernel work we were doing post-ms5...

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 12:43 AM, kudzu <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

On 12/6/2010 7:18 PM, Grunt wrote:
> Well I have tried to set 640x480 Resulotion but the screen is all messed
> up and I have tired every thing. Do you need the Dev kit?

I think graphics are not working in teh dev kit currently.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2010 at 7:00 AM

It's 640x240x4 - so 16 colours. That is why it looks messed up. That is as high as you can go without vesa/drivers. I was going to suggest I would rewrite the VGAScreen and Mouse class for MS5+ but to be honest I think we should leave them out - forcing people to either contribute a chipset driver or stop asking the same questions over and over again on this discussion board.

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2010 at 7:43 AM
The good thing nowadays, is that the number of chipsets is decreasing (in the sense of the stuff we need):

It's either Radeon, nvidia, intel integrated (i know to get everything out of those we'll need deep drivers, but the basics are doable i think)..
and of course there are chips like matrox etc still in use, but with radeon nvidia intel we'll catch most of our public?

Oh, and of course the virtual ones (vmware)

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 9:00 AM, smremde <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

It's 640x240x4 - so 16 colours. That is why it looks messed up. That is as high as you can go without vesa/drivers. I was going to suggest I would rewrite the VGAScreen and Mouse class for MS5+ but to be honest I think we should leave them out - forcing people to either contribute a chipset driver or stop asking the same questions over and over again on this discussion board.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Those are the big three yes. And for basic 2d drawing, the interface for different cards of the same make is very similar. I wouldn't consider touching other type of cards really - for one, documentation will be difficult to find.

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2010 at 8:47 AM
stephen, exactly my point ;)

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 10:43 AM, smremde <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Those are the big three yes. And for basic 2d drawing, the interface for different cards of the same make is very similar. I wouldn't consider touching other type of cards really - for one, documentation will be difficult to find.

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2010 at 12:29 PM
On 12/8/2010 4:43 AM, mterwoord wrote:
> It's either Radeon, nvidia, intel integrated (i know to get everything

I think there are a few VIA out there still...
Coordinator
Dec 8, 2010 at 12:40 PM
which proves my point: if we get radeon, nvidia, intel, we have most of them..

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 2:30 PM, kudzu <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

On 12/8/2010 4:43 AM, mterwoord wrote:
> It's either Radeon, nvidia, intel integrated (i know to get everything

I think there are a few VIA out there still...

Developer
Dec 13, 2010 at 1:05 PM

is there a faster way of redrawing the screen without having to use VGAScreen.Clear() and redraw the entire gui again?

Coordinator
Dec 13, 2010 at 1:17 PM
you could just keep track of when something changes and redraw just that..

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 3:05 PM, forest201 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

is there a faster way of redrawing the screen without having to use VGAScreen.Clear() and redraw the entire gui again?

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

Developer
Dec 13, 2010 at 3:26 PM
Edited Dec 13, 2010 at 3:27 PM

I having problems with the code below. It only draws a line in the centre. It was supposed to draw the plus sign. Please tell me if i have done something wrong.

uint[] LA ={ 0,0,0,1,1,0,0,0,
                         0,0,0,1,1,0,0,0};

for (uint i = 0; i < 6; i++)
            {

for (uint t = 0, count = 0; t < 8; t++, count++)
                {

if (LA[count] == 1)
                    {
                        VGAScreen.SetPixel320x200x8(x + t, y + i, 1);;
                    }

}
            }

Dec 14, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Step through your code and look at the values of i, t, and count on each iteration. If it's still not obvious, I would recommend doing some reading on C# and debugging.

Developer
Dec 14, 2010 at 11:51 PM

you have not declared count.  use this code:

uint[] LA ={ 
0,0,0,1,1,0,0,0};

int i;
int t;
uint count = 0;

for (i = 0; i < 6; i++)
{
	for (t = 0; t < 8; t++, count++)
 	{
		if (LA[count] == 1)
		{
			 VGAScreen.SetPixel320x200x8(x + (uint)t, y + (uint)i, 1);;
 		}
	}
}

Developer
Dec 19, 2010 at 1:00 AM

Hey dudes any of u have any ideas what i should add to my OS? I am running out of ideas. plz help.

It already contains ;

-Basic Text Editor

-Paint Application

-Snake Game

-Clock

Developer
Dec 19, 2010 at 6:55 PM

hmmm.  

1. virtual desktops
  2. media player
  3. music maker
  4. guitar hero type game
  5. Angry Birds :)
  6. script language

its not really hard to think of stuff.  you just gotta try.

Developer
Dec 19, 2010 at 9:12 PM

lol. Guitar Hero. It may take  months for me to design such Powerful graphic librarys to be able to play such a game.

How do you play a sound  in Cosmos?

Developer
Dec 20, 2010 at 3:28 PM

you dont need a powerful graphics.  just create a bunch of shapes, to make it look similar to guitar hero.  as for sound... you can use console.beep() or PIT in cosmos.hardware.

Developer
Dec 20, 2010 at 8:25 PM
Edited Dec 20, 2010 at 8:26 PM

It sounds easy but to draw triangles and circles is difficult. I would appreciate if you could help.

Developer
Dec 22, 2010 at 3:17 AM

In the Cosmos Mouse loop, the code  if mx !=x || my!=y code is causing problems for me. Everytime i stop shifting the mouse and try to click one of my os's buttons it doesn't work. I have to drag and left click  the mouse across my os's button for it to work.  I want to be able to click my os's button without having to drag the mouse across it. I have tried using the if(mx==x || my==y) but it redraws the mouse even if it is not moving. Could someone please help!