This project is read-only.

Can't setup GUI

Jan 20, 2011 at 5:16 PM

I've been looking around this 'Discussions' area, looking for some help on how to setup the GUI. I tried using the function I commonly saw, (Cosmos.Hardware.)VGAscreen.SetPixel. I've tried messing with it for hours, but no pixels seem to change. Could anybody give me a very basic intro on how to form a GUI by colouring pixels?

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Okay, I've got it working now (thanks to the previous topics in this 'Discussions' thing). 1 more question; how do people come up with mass arrays that convert into an image, is there a program that generates the array?

Jan 21, 2011 at 7:28 AM
Those people have good understanding of how VGA works (it's a requirement for now, as the VGAScreen class is a lowlevel interface to the hardware), or copied someone else's code...

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 9:39 PM, Ca11um <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Okay, I've got it working now (thanks to the previous topics in this 'Discussions' thing). 1 more question; how do people come up with mass arrays that convert into an image, is there a program that generates the array?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jan 22, 2011 at 2:06 AM

I seem to have got the hang of how it all works now, thanks for the help. My final question would be; what is the most efficient and quickest (without being amazingly complicated) way of 'refreshing' the screen?

Jan 22, 2011 at 7:47 AM
Refreshing as in painting it 1 color? just make 2 nested for loops and use SetPixel

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 3:06 AM, Ca11um <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I seem to have got the hang of how it all works now, thanks for the help. My final question would be; what is the most efficient and quickest (without being amazingly complicated) way of 'refreshing' the screen?

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jan 22, 2011 at 2:15 PM

No, for stuff like the cursor going over another object that is rendered in pixels, or menu's overlapping.

Wouldn't a loop of 64,000 per frame be quite intensive?

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:36 AM

You are best drawing to an off screen buffer and copying the memory into the VGA address space or use paging (but iirc basic VGA doesnt have enough memory for this) or using hardware acceleration... 

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:02 AM

Sorry, but I'm quite a newbie with Cosmos. How would I go about making an off-screen buffer, and then copying it into the VGA address space?

Jan 26, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Learn to search

http://tinyurl.com/6bkqol4

Google is your friend

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:34 AM

Okay, I've been reading http://www.brackeen.com/vga/unchain.html to see how I should go about adding buffering. I get all of it except the 'memcpy' function - what does Cosmos have in place of that?

Jan 27, 2011 at 6:57 AM
at this moment: nothing...

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 2:34 AM, Ca11um <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Okay, I've been reading http://www.brackeen.com/vga/unchain.html to see how I should go about adding buffering. I get all of it except the 'memcpy' function - what does Cosmos have in place of that?

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:15 AM

Maybe an alternate solution would be to 'freeze' the screen while rendering, and unfreeze it at the end - or would this make it too slow for things like moving the mouse? If it would work, is there any functions to (un)freeze the screen?