File System

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:08 PM

I want the user to be able to see a list of the files they have in there drive (like DOS) , How may i do this?

Developer
Jan 23, 2011 at 11:42 PM

I don't think you can make it like dos but you could make your own filesystem if you have HDD,FDD or CDROM,DVDROM driver. I myself have a Basic FDD filesystem with Folders and files.But it takes up alot of code because Milestone 4 doesn't like struct arrays.  A simple struct like the one below gives a whole lot of errors.

struct Folder
{
   public string[] Files;
   public uint Size;
}

if you try to make a Array like so   

Folder[] ListOfFolders

then you cannot add any Folders to ListOfFolders. if you try printing it like so

foreach(Folder MyFolder in ListOfFolder)
{
  if(MyFolder.Size >=1)
    {
          for(int d =0;d<MyFolder.Size;d++)
           {
              if(MyFolder.Files[d] !="")
                  {
                     Console.WriteLine(MyFolder.Files[d])
                  }
           }
     }

it will display an object's internal code as a string and will never stop printing.

So if you want to make a filesystem you would have to use more code than Normal.

Developer
Jan 23, 2011 at 11:43 PM

But no worries I post a Floppy Driver soon! Which will be able to read and write to floppy disk.

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:16 AM
forest201 wrote:

But no worries I post a Floppy Driver soon! Which will be able to read and write to floppy disk.

Dude no one ueses floppy disk any more

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:19 AM

i've got a simular question is it possable to search for a dll file in a folder and then run a certain class from it

(for add ons)

Coordinator
Jan 25, 2011 at 12:46 PM
On 1/25/2011 1:16 AM, gamesman123 wrote:
> But no worries I post a Floppy Driver soon! Which will be able to
> read and write to floppy disk.
>
> Dude no one ueses floppy disk any more

A floppy is still an important driver to have, especially in a
virtualized world.
Jan 25, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Can you just supply me with HDD  instead of FDD.

I want to use the hard drive not a Floppy Drive.

gamesman123 is right no one uses floppy drives any more.

And can there be a way to make a file such as .txt then save it to the drive to edit it later or read it.

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:26 PM

All's i need is a simple way to have my operating system to tell me what files are on the Hard Drive.

I want my operating system to install on  a hard drive.

Think of a Hard Drive as a CD or Floppy Disk or mostley any thing that holds memory.

If there can be a way to read a floppy disk then cant there be a way to read a hard drive or something?

Coordinator
Jan 27, 2011 at 6:56 AM
harddrive and floppy aren't really comparable....

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:26 PM, stevenator <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

All's i need is a simple way to have my operating system to tell me what files are on the Hard Drive.

I want my operating system to install on a hard drive.

Think of a Hard Drive as a CD or Floppy Disk or mostley any thing that holds memory.

If there can be a way to read a floppy disk then cant there be a way to read a hard drive or something?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Developer
Jan 28, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Programming the Floppy Drive was hard  and programming a HDD is even more complicated because it has alot of commands.

And if you want to Create a text file that you can read and write to you have to decide how your os will read it and how it is gona be stored on the disk.

Don't worry about FDD Driver i post it when i finish setting up Visual Studio for my Windows 7 installation. My OS already can read and write to its own TEXT files that cannot be read by Windows or Linux Systems. It has a New type of filesystem.