Console Text Scrolling

Developer
Jan 28, 2011 at 5:55 AM

Hi team, very excited by this project - thank you for your work.

Question on scrolling in the console window.  It doesnt seem to work.  When text reaches the bottom of the screen, I get a red "x06" at the top left of the screen, and it halts.  I am using Visual Studio 2010, and VirtualBox as the VM software.  Here's the code snippet (retyped, not copy /paste, so sorry if errors):

 

for (int i=0; i< 100; i++)

    Console.WriteLine(i.ToString());

 

Also, we talk alot about milestone and build versions.. how do I check which version I am running?

Developer
Jan 28, 2011 at 6:04 AM

Also, wanted to let the team know about MikeOS, a very simple open source x86 bootloader / OS which is out there, meant to make writing an OS easier.  The reason I bring it up, is because they have already implemented FAT12, and the source code is readily available.  Maybe it will help.

Coordinator
Jan 29, 2011 at 10:29 PM

I have fix the exception on scrolling, so checkout my lastest changes. Now is only the last line dupplicated, because not yet overridden.

Developer
Jan 31, 2011 at 5:30 AM

I actually created my own ConsoleIO class which uses Cosmos.Hardware.Keyboard and Cosmos.Hardware.TextScreen classes directly.  (I dont use Console.Write at all now).   Not sure if I should be using these two classes, but they are public so I figured it would be safe.  Scrolling and text control works perfectly for me now.    I can send my class to whomever would like them to maybe implement in Cosmos(?). 

Coordinator
Jan 31, 2011 at 7:07 AM
What version of the userkit are you guys using? Latest?(to xlar54)

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 6:30 AM, xlar54 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: xlar54

I actually created my own ConsoleIO class which uses Cosmos.Hardware.Keyboard and Cosmos.Hardware.TextScreen classes directly. (I dont use Console.Write at all now). Not sure if I should be using these two classes, but they are public so I figured it would be safe. Scrolling and text control works perfectly for me now. I can send my class to whomever would like them to maybe implement in Cosmos(?).

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com


Developer
Feb 1, 2011 at 3:53 AM

How do you determine which version youre using?  Im pretty sure mine is latest, but not sure how to check.

Coordinator
Feb 1, 2011 at 7:05 AM
Control panel, installed application list.

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 4:53 AM, xlar54 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: xlar54

How do you determine which version youre using? Im pretty sure mine is latest, but not sure how to check.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com


Developer
May 19, 2011 at 12:55 AM

Might I ask what the red x06 means? Because I'm getting it with my new VGA Screen implementation. (btw, if i create the instance as a field, the cpu shuts down (according to vmware workstation)), if i create the same instance in a method i get the red x06 on the screen.

Coordinator
May 19, 2011 at 7:33 AM
x06 means a cpu exception 6 is occurring: invalid opcode. This most likely means you hit a compiler bug which is causing stack corruption.
please double-check that everywhere where you think you have an object instance, the reference is actually not null (we dont have null checks in place everywhere).

If this doesn't work, please join cosmos-dev mailinglist, and try to narrow the situation down..

What cosmos version are you using?

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 1:55 AM, blah38621 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: blah38621

Might I ask what the red x06 means? Because I'm getting it with my new VGA Screen implementation. (btw, if i create the instance as a field, the cpu shuts down (according to vmware workstation)), if i create the same instance in a method i get the red x06 on the screen.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com


Developer
May 19, 2011 at 1:49 PM

I'm working with the trunk version (and although I have the user kit installed, i've manually updated the files, (why'd you have to change the debug file output property name :P, that took me forever to catch XD), so I should be building with the trunk version), could the problem be my cpu itself not supporting a function? As I know my drawing code (namely the circles, curves, and triangle) use Math.Sqrt, which is translated by the compiler into an x87 opcode, and my cpu is reasonabily old (it's new enough to support sse2, and might support sse3, not certain if it does though.) I'll check over my code to make sure there aren't any nulls somewhere that are causing problems....

Coordinator
May 19, 2011 at 1:51 PM
Not going to even look into it until you have a "supported" situation.

Why aren't you using the normal way of installing the devkit? (using install.bat)

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 2:49 PM, blah38621 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: blah38621

I'm working with the trunk version (and although I have the user kit installed, i've manually updated the files, (why'd you have to change the debug file output property name :P, that took me forever to catch XD), so I should be building with the trunk version), could the problem be my cpu itself not supporting a function? As I know my drawing code (namely the circles, curves, and triangle) use Math.Sqrt, which is translated by the compiler into an x87 opcode, and my cpu is reasonabily old (it's new enough to support sse2, and might support sse3, not certain if it does though.) I'll check over my code to make sure there aren't any nulls somewhere that are causing problems....

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com


Developer
May 19, 2011 at 5:08 PM
Edited May 19, 2011 at 5:41 PM

The only reason I've not used the normal way is because I hadn't noticed the install.bat. I'll run it when I get home today :P Should fix a few difficulties Iwas having XD (I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit, with 3-gb of ram, so it was annoying to manually update those files :P)

 

(btw, my graphics library is making good progress, I just got polygons working, and fixed a bug in my triangle fill code.)

Coordinator
May 19, 2011 at 5:47 PM
keep in mind you need visal studio sdk, and the innosetup quickstart pack. (not the normal one). please pay deep attention to the install.bat output, as it'll give clues if it doesn't work...


On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 6:08 PM, blah38621 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: blah38621

The only reason I've not used the normal way is because I hadn't noticed the install.bat. I'll run it when I get home today :P Should fix a few difficulties Iwas having XD (I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit, with 3-gb of ram, so it was annoying to manually update those files :P)

(btw, my graphics library is making good progress, I just got polygons working, and fixed a bug in my triangle fill code.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com


Developer
May 19, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Already have all of those, so it shouldn't be a problem to install.  I haven't found the issue in the VGAScreen code yet, but it is very likely where the issue is, so I'll keep looking.

Developer
May 19, 2011 at 10:36 PM
Edited May 19, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Alright, I have now got it installed properly, but for some reason, i keep getting a StackOverflowException when trying to compile Guess.Cosmos (with no changes to it). The stack overflow causes visual studio to crash and not tell me why, i only figured it out when i tried to build it via command line (msbuild Guess.cosmos). Any Suggestions?

Coordinator
May 20, 2011 at 7:37 AM
are you sure install.bat ran successfully? (did you look carefuly at the output?)

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 11:36 PM, blah38621 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: blah38621

Alright, I have now got it installed properly, but for some reason, i keep getting a StackOverflowException when trying to compile Guess.Cosmos (with no changes to it). The stack overflow causes visual studio to crash and not tell me why, i only figured it out when i tried to build it via command line (msbuild Guess.cosmos).

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com


Coordinator
May 20, 2011 at 7:38 AM
Also, have you tried a different project?

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Matthijs ter Woord <matthijsterwoord@gmail.com> wrote:
are you sure install.bat ran successfully? (did you look carefuly at the output?)

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 11:36 PM, blah38621 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: blah38621

Alright, I have now got it installed properly, but for some reason, i keep getting a StackOverflowException when trying to compile Guess.Cosmos (with no changes to it). The stack overflow causes visual studio to crash and not tell me why, i only figured it out when i tried to build it via command line (msbuild Guess.cosmos).

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com



Developer
May 20, 2011 at 1:54 PM

The only errors i got when running it were the xcopy command not existing, (no idea why XD), and because of that, the iss script not building. I manually adjusted the iss script to point to the correct directory (just told it the templates were in the "Item Templates" subfolder) and that script built just fine. I then manually ran the installer, (as that's what the script tried to do), and installed the newly created vsix package (which i installed before running the installer that was created, so the installer should have overriden that). So yes, essentially, the installer script did run successfully. (and none of the other projects like to build as it is, but i'll see if one of them actually does build when i get home and report back on the results.)

Coordinator
May 20, 2011 at 2:19 PM
Wait, build script should run ok with no problems. only issues we had for a long time were related to x86/x64 differences, but those were solved..


On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 2:54 PM, blah38621 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: blah38621

The only errors i got when running it were the xcopy command not existing, (no idea why XD), and because of that, the iss script not building. I manually adjusted the iss script to point to the correct directory (just told it the templates were in the "Item Templates" subfolder) and that script built just fine. I then manually ran the installer, (as that's what the script tried to do), and installed the newly created vsix package (which i installed before running the installer that was created, so the installer should have overriden that). So yes, essentially, the installer script did run successfully. (and none of the other projects like to build as it is, but i'll see if one of them actually does build when i get home and report back on the results.)

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com


Coordinator
May 20, 2011 at 2:42 PM
On 5/20/2011 9:19 AM, mterwoord wrote:
> Wait, build script should run ok with no problems. only issues we had
> for a long time were related to x86/x64 differences, but those were solved..

My main dev machine is x64... so no issues there...
Coordinator
May 20, 2011 at 2:43 PM
> The only errors i got when running it were the xcopy command not
> existing, (no idea why XD), and because of that, the iss script not

xcopy is a built in windows shell command... if its not finding xcopy,
something has goofed up your system. xcopy has been around since about
DOS 4.
Developer
May 20, 2011 at 3:26 PM

It's very likely my system is goofed up, (i do have a copy command, though it is very annoying, as the syntax makes no sense), Though as none of the things i did should make a difference, I'll just have to survive with my slightly modified script.

Coordinator
May 20, 2011 at 3:44 PM
your wierd situation does mean that more problems may arise..

general advise: do a reinstall of windows..

On 5/20/11, blah38621 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:
> From: blah38621
>
> It's very likely my system is goofed up, (i do have a copy command, though
> it is very annoying, as the syntax makes no sense), Though as none of the
> things i did should make a difference, I'll just have to survive with my
> slightly modified script.
>
>
Developer
May 20, 2011 at 4:18 PM

I would re-install windows, if I had 3 weeks to re-install everything that I use XD (you'd be amazed at how many things I usually do at once XD)

Developer
May 22, 2011 at 12:42 AM

any suggestions as to what i can do about the stackoverflow exception? (i've just checked, and it occurs on a properly set-up devkit, only after the patch for my vga screen is applied. I don't see why it would occur.)

Coordinator
May 22, 2011 at 7:45 AM
where does it stack overflow? try to connect a debugger and get me the last couple of stack entries..

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 1:42 AM, blah38621 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: blah38621

any suggestions as to what i can do about the stackoverflow exception? (i've just checked, and it occurs on a properly set-up devkit, only after the patch for my vga screen is applied. I don't see why it would occur.)

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com