Project Objectives

Feb 15, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Hi Guys

I want to start by saying that I think what you are doing is really good, interesting and exciting. The existence of a managed OS is something I have been looking forward to and doing my own independant research on for some time.

I have noticed that you have an interrupt type class and in my undestanding, one could use this as the basis for a system driver model. But honestly, a driver/device stack would need to incorporated into the kernel by instantiating it at runtime, or at least adding to it and being able to query that list from within the kernel. The implementation would then need to query storage type devices when attempting to open files by path from the perspective of the system.io namespace.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some devices are rooted on system buses which are individual irq's in their own right. So there would need to be some form of parenting for devices that existed on a particular bus.

I guess what I want to know is, what are your design goals in general and more specifically in this area?

Coordinator
Feb 15, 2011 at 10:42 PM
> I have noticed that you have an interrupt type class and in my
> undestanding, one could use this as the basis for a system driver model.

Eventually, but not yet. The INT structure needs fleshed out more, but
first we need threading, better memory mgmt etc.

> But honestly, a driver/device stack would need to incorporated into the
> kernel by instantiating it at runtime, or at least adding to it and
> being able to query that list from within the kernel. The implementation

Already in the works. ATA is a building block.

> Another thing to keep in mind is that some devices are rooted on system
> buses which are individual irq's in their own right. So there would need
> to be some form of parenting for devices that existed on a particular bus.

Already in the structure too.

> I guess what I want to know is, what are your design goals in general
> and more specifically in this area?

You can watch how ATA is developing..... Or we could use help on the
debugger. :)
Developer
Feb 16, 2011 at 5:53 AM

VERY eager to see drive access.  I know everyone else is too.  "when its done" is too killer vague :)  Any ideas on when r/w will be available?

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2011 at 11:37 AM
> VERY eager to see drive access. I know everyone else is too. "when its
> done" is too killer vague :) Any ideas on when r/w will be available?

I already have ATA reading and writing again.
Feb 25, 2011 at 3:09 PM

ok im kinda confused here (sort of a "n00b" i admit that)

can someone please tell me the current status on filesystems in plain english so i can understand what exactly still needs to be done?

Coordinator
Feb 25, 2011 at 3:14 PM
we're working on prototyping: if you want to closely follow development: join facebook or mailinglist or irc (or multiple..)

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 5:09 PM, hack3rinc <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

ok im kinda confused here (sort of a "n00b" i admit that)

can someone please tell me the current status on filesystems in plain english so i can understand what exactly still needs to be done?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Feb 25, 2011 at 3:22 PM

ok cool