This project is read-only.

CD FileSystem Help

Feb 17, 2011 at 2:38 AM

Okay, so I made a basic command line interface, I wanted crude file support (unix like "ls") so I messed with some of the "supported" file systems, I gave up. I kept getting errors complaining about how "multidimensional arrays are not supported yet". Can anyone please explain (in detail for god's sake) about how to get this to work. I just need a way to access files from a CD.

Some code I was using:

Console.WriteLine(System.IO.Directory.GetDirectories("/"));  - "multidimensional arrays are not supported yet".

public static Cosmos.Sys.FileSystem.Ext2 FileSystem; - ended up not being initialized, I have no idea how to initialize this.

Feb 17, 2011 at 8:34 AM
No point in writing a string[] to console. at least that's the part that's not working..

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 3:38 AM, Xaphan32 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: Xaphan32

Okay, so I made a basic command line interface, I wanted crude file support (unix like "ls") so I messed with some of the "supported" file systems, I gave up. I kept getting errors complaining about how "multidimensional arrays are not supported yet". Can anyone please explain (in detail for god's sake) about how to get this to work. I just need a way to access files from a CD.

Some code I was using:

Console.WriteLine(System.IO.Directory.GetDirectories("/")); - "multidimensional arrays are not supported yet".

public static Cosmos.Sys.FileSystem.Ext2 FileSystem; - ended up not being initialized, I have no idea how to initialize this.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com


Feb 17, 2011 at 8:36 AM
Oh, forgot to mention:

I find the tone in your message a bit rude: you expect us to explain in detail the howabouts of the projects, while you dont even describe your environment: what cosmos release, visual studio version and edition, windows version, etc.



On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Matthijs ter Woord <matthijsterwoord@gmail.com> wrote:
No point in writing a string[] to console. at least that's the part that's not working..


On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 3:38 AM, Xaphan32 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: Xaphan32

Okay, so I made a basic command line interface, I wanted crude file support (unix like "ls") so I messed with some of the "supported" file systems, I gave up. I kept getting errors complaining about how "multidimensional arrays are not supported yet". Can anyone please explain (in detail for god's sake) about how to get this to work. I just need a way to access files from a CD.

Some code I was using:

Console.WriteLine(System.IO.Directory.GetDirectories("/")); - "multidimensional arrays are not supported yet".

public static Cosmos.Sys.FileSystem.Ext2 FileSystem; - ended up not being initialized, I have no idea how to initialize this.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com



Feb 17, 2011 at 11:34 AM
> I find the tone in your message a bit rude: you expect us to explain in
> detail the howabouts of the projects, while you dont even describe your
> environment: what cosmos release, visual studio version and edition,
> windows version, etc.

+1
Feb 17, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I didn't "expect" anything out of you. I simply asked if anyone could explain it, as no other posts pertaining to this question seem to even have more than 2 sentences for an answer. Obviously you can't or didn't want to answer the question and were worried to much about my dictation rather than my question. So honestly I don't care. I found the answer by my self anyway.

Feb 17, 2011 at 2:42 PM
> I didn't "expect" anything out of you. I simply asked if anyone could
> explain it, as no other posts pertaining to this question seem to even
> have more than 2 sentences for an answer. Obviously you can't or didn't
> want to answer the question and were worried to much about my dictation
> rather than my question. So honestly I don't care. I found the answer by
> my self anyway.

-1
Feb 25, 2011 at 3:42 PM

@[newguywiththewierdname]32: *facepalm*

they are WORKING ON IT!

everyone asks the same question. instead of whining about it and treating them like servants for your "OS" (likely your os is just a command line interface, no apis, no gui, no extentions, no directory managment, nothing. aka its not as good as you think it is) how about help them so they can get it done FASTER

they are not here to serve you. be gratefull they even created this project. otherwise you would be back at doing VB or gamemaker or something.

P.S. if you think you can do it better in no time ALL by yourself, then go ahead. no ones stoping you :P

Feb 26, 2011 at 8:01 PM

@Kid Who Thinks He Speaks 1337:

Your a moron you know that? Apparently your too stupid to realize I solved the problem myself: "I found the answer by myself anyway" However, you obviously cannot read "aka its not as good as you think it is". When did I ever claim my OS was good? Oh wait I didn't. Instead of being a little kid who comes into other peoples post, not providing anything other than running his mouth. How about you keep your comment to yourself, because you obviously don't have a clue what your talking about.

Oh, and without file support, any OS is useless, because thats kinda the whole point of an operating system. Also, I love how you claim that I have used M$'s VB "otherwise you would be back at doing VB". I hate people like you claiming to be some omnipotent god. The problem is that I'm on linux, so I don't think that M$'s VB is anything i'm interested in (obviously you ran your mouth before you even bothered to ask). And as a matter of fact, I ended up dropping Cosmos, wrote the same thing I had complete with a: PIT, GDT, ISR, IVT, in C and in less time than using Cosmos. Learn to code a real language   then talk to me, good day hacker wannabe.

Mar 7, 2011 at 4:05 PM

@angryperson: lol calm down. the only thing hated more than noobs are angry noobs xD

and actually there are some uses for an operating system without a FS

Mar 7, 2011 at 4:10 PM
> and actually there are some uses for an operating system without a FS

There a tons of uses without a FS. Much of the embedded world runs
without filesystems. We have FAT working mostly now anwyays.
Mar 7, 2011 at 9:22 PM

@kudzu

I have nothing against you however, when I said "Oh, and without file support, any OS is useless". What I meant was commercial OSes for everyday users. I'm fully aware of OSes with not file system, these are mainly employed by enterprise corporations yes?

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:38 PM

@hack3rinc

I can honestly admit that, some of my points were out of line. Also, I can concur that I was angry. But a noob? Honestly your choice of words disappoints me. Just for being new to a community, I am automatically branded as a noob? I can understand this basic prejudiced response. But it was never my intention to start a flame war, nor be branded as a noob, or an angry noob. You have my sincere apology for any kind of misfortune that I have brought about. I'll delete my account for the removal of future offenses to this community.

Mar 8, 2011 at 12:07 AM
> I have nothing against you however, when I said "Oh, and without file
> support, any OS is useless". What I meant was commercial OSes for
> everyday users. I'm fully aware of OSes with not file system, these are
> mainly employed by enterprise corporations yes?

It all depends on what you are doing. The embedded space is far bigger
than you'd expect.

We are working on FS, just look at the facebook page. But that doesn't
change the incorrectness of your original statement.
Mar 8, 2011 at 12:08 AM
> flame war, nor be branded as a noob, or an angry noob. You have my
> sincere apology for any kind of misfortune that I have brought about.
> I'll delete my account for the removal of future offenses to this community.

No need to delete your account. Hacker is just another member like you.
Mar 8, 2011 at 2:36 AM

@kudzu

Thanks, but after being branded a noob, angry noob, and a rude member. I feel it better, for all party's involved, if I would remove my account. After all, I haven't honestly contributed to the project, and all I have gotten in responses from everyone except you, was hot air.

Mar 8, 2011 at 3:05 AM
> Thanks, but after being branded a noob, angry noob, and a rude member. I
> feel it better, for all party's involved, if I would remove my account.
> After all, I haven't honestly contributed to the project, and all I have
> gotten in responses from everyone except you, was hot air.

The other members are just that, just Codeplex users like yourself.
Matthijs, myself, Trivalik, smremde and a few others are the core team.
You can see who is marked to have write access in the team list, those
are the core team.
Mar 12, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Sorry but could you not just use

foreach(string directory in�System.IO.Directory.GetDirectories("/"))
{
       Console.WriteLine(directory); 
}

 

Mar 12, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Also if you want to get the directories from your current directory i dont think you need "/"

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:20 PM
foreach is not supported yet, as it requires interfaces to work.

also, not doing the "/" assumes having Current directory support.

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 2:47 PM, edgareatis <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: edgareatis

Also if you want to get the directories from your current directory i dont think you need "/"

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com


Mar 12, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Oh sorry then.
is while or for supported? 

Mar 13, 2011 at 3:28 AM
> Oh sorry then.
> is while or for supported?

Yes. The problem with foreach is that it uses IEnumerable which is an
interface and Cosmos doesn't support interfaces yet.
Mar 14, 2011 at 2:17 PM
> Sorry but could you not just use

No yet because we dont have CDFS and for FAT there are some compiler
bugs blocking us from plugging the FCL classes.