VB.Net Express 2010 and ISO image problem

Apr 27, 2011 at 7:31 AM

Hi All

When compiling the program, no ISO is being created for some reason in any of the output directories, and i'm very new to COSMOS, I have installed the following

VB.Net Express 2010

Visual Studio 2010 Shell (Isolated Shell)

VMWare Player

I'm sure i'm missing and small setting somewhere for the VB.Net Express to compile and create the ISO and then run it in VMWare Player, can anyone help?

Coordinator
Apr 27, 2011 at 8:00 AM
The VS Shell project should create a .iso file when building..

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 9:31 AM, steveoneill <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi All

When compiling the program, no ISO is being created for some reason in any of the output directories, and i'm very new to COSMOS, I have installed the following

VB.Net Express 2010

Visual Studio 2010 Shell (Isolated Shell)

VMWare Player

I'm sure i'm missing and small setting somewhere for the VB.Net Express to compile and create the ISO and then run it in VMWare Player, can anyone help?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Apr 27, 2011 at 8:05 AM

Hi Mterwood

Thats what I thought but i can find no ISO image anywhere, I know when using C# it does it all for you with no problems, but for some reason this is not the case for the VB.Net edition, is there a setting i'm missing somewhere.

Also on another note, do you have any help files on the classes etc that are available and hwo to use some of the them?

Coordinator
Apr 27, 2011 at 8:09 AM
Do you get any build output in the Shell?

Regarding docs: not really: you shuold just use System.Console etc, ie, normal .net classes..

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 10:06 AM, steveoneill <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi Mterwood

Thats what I thought but i can find no ISO image anywhere, I know when using C# it does it all for you with no problems, but for some reason this is not the case for the VB.Net edition, is there a setting i'm missing somewhere.

Also on another note, do you have any help files on the classes etc that are available and hwo to use some of the them?

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Apr 27, 2011 at 8:17 AM

I get the normal ouput if thats what you mean , i think i'm missing something here, in the output directories i get the standard .dll's, pdb's etc that are normally associated with a program, what i've done so far is

Installed VB.Net Express, Visual Studio 2010 Shell (Isolated Shell) and WMWare Player, i've noticed when looking at the properties of the C# example it give you properties to set for which virtual software to use, what image type to use etc, but nothing of that sort is coming up for VB.net.

I created a standard library for the kernal, then created a 2nd project of a console type and referenced the kernal class, is this correct or have i missed something.

Coordinator
Apr 27, 2011 at 8:18 AM
You should have a cosmos kernel project in VB Express, then a Cosmos project (.Cosmos file) in shell. that shell project references the kernel project.

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 10:17 AM, steveoneill <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I get the normal ouput if thats what you mean , i think i'm missing something here, in the output directories i get the standard .dll's, pdb's etc that are normally associated with a program, what i've done so far is

Installed VB.Net Express, Visual Studio 2010 Shell (Isolated Shell) and WMWare Player, i've noticed when looking at the properties of the C# example it give you properties to set for which virtual software to use, what image type to use etc, but nothing of that sort is coming up for VB.net.

I created a standard library for the kernal, then created a 2nd project of a console type and referenced the kernal class, is this correct or have i missed something.

Apr 27, 2011 at 8:41 AM

Hi

Sorry, think i'm being really thick here, would you be able to give a 'dummies' guide on what to do, this all very new to me for creating OS's,

These are the available in VB.Net project

Which do i start with first and then 2nd??

Coordinator
Apr 27, 2011 at 8:46 AM
in Express, you create your project. Build it and it'll produce a .dll file.
in Shell, create a Cosmos project, and have it reference the .dll
in Shell, Build and it'll make an iso

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 10:41 AM, steveoneill <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi

Sorry, think i'm being really thick here, would you be able to give a 'dummies' guide on what to do, this all very new to me for creating OS's,

These are the available in VB.Net project

Which do i start with first and then 2nd??

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Hmm, sorry on being really thick here..

in express i've created a Class library yes/no??, but i'm unclear as to what you mean 'Shell' I can find nothing for shell anywhere, even though i've installed all the correct software.

really sorry on being thick here??

Coordinator
Apr 27, 2011 at 9:28 AM
You have VB Express installed, and the VS SHell Runtime?

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 11:06 AM, steveoneill <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hmm, sorry on being really thick here..

in express i've created a Class library yes/no??, but i'm unclear as to what you mean 'Shell' I can find nothing for shell anywhere, even though i've installed all the correct software.

really sorry on being thick here??

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Yes i have VB.Net express and Visual Studio 2010 Shell (Isolated Shell) installed

Coordinator
Apr 27, 2011 at 9:43 AM
In Express, you create a cosmos project. Check on disk, it should create a .vbproj.
In Express, build ths project
In Shell, create a cosmos project, check on disk: it should create a .cosmos project
In Shell, add a reference to the .vbproj's .dll file
In Shell, Build.

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 11:34 AM, steveoneill <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Yes i have VB.Net express and Visual Studio 2010 Shell (Isolated Shell) installed

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Right, I think i know what the problem is.

I can do the first part no problem with express, but when looking in express i'm supposed to have a template for the Shell in the installed templates under 'Other Projects', this is not there, i've just re-installed the shell and it's still no appearing.

So a little stumped now, google here i come.

Coordinator
Apr 27, 2011 at 10:04 AM
Did you install a Cosmos userkit?

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 12:00 PM, steveoneill <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Right, I think i know what the problem is.

I can do the first part no problem with express, but when looking in express i'm supposed to have a template for the Shell in the installed templates under 'Other Projects', this is not there, i've just re-installed the shell and it's still no appearing.

So a little stumped now, google here i come.

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Yes, the latest from the codeplex site

Coordinator
Apr 27, 2011 at 10:09 AM
You did so _after_ installing VS shell?

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 12:05 PM, steveoneill <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Yes, the latest from the codeplex site

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:12 AM

yes, i've just done a re-install of VS2010 Iso shell then re-installed CosmosUserKit, but still nothing is showing up for the Shell in the templates section, this is a defo head scratcher

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:35 AM

well bugger me, still cannot find whats wrong with it, any other idea's my friend

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:39 PM

i've cracked it with the help of my friend, I need to install Intergrated Shell not Isolated and this is now working, thanks for your help on this

Coordinator
Apr 27, 2011 at 3:19 PM
Ah, crap, sorry for not reading your initial message good enough ;)

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 3:39 PM, steveoneill <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

i've cracked it with the help of my friend, I need to install Intergrated Shell not Isolated and this is now working, thanks for your help on this