Caching in the compiler?

Developer
Jun 4, 2011 at 10:24 PM

How difficult would it be to implement? Because I have a few sections in my graphics code that are giant (I decided to remove all calculation from the screen update code, so I expanded the loop to all 64k lines of code (the VGADriver file is now 4mb XD, and the .dll size of my graphics went from 25kb to 2.5 mb :P) ), and takes a VERY long time to compile. (I've been sitting here for 20 minutes so far waiting for it to compile the first time). This section of code won't change any time soon, so I'm driven to ask, is it possible to add this code to some sort of cache, and how hard would it be to implement it?

Coordinator
Jun 5, 2011 at 8:13 AM
it is HUGE. please dont do that yet. Please wait till we do next release, and for our compiler work. After that, we will be working on many things we have been postponing....

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 12:24 AM, blah38621 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

How difficult would it be to implement? Because I have a few sections in my graphics code that are giant (I decided to remove all calculation from the screen update code, so I expanded the loop to all 64k lines of code (the VGADriver file is now 4mb XD, and the .dll size of my graphics went from 25kb to 2.5 mb :P) ), and takes a VERY long time to compile. (I've been sitting here for 20 minutes so far waiting for it to compile the first time). This section of code won't change any time soon, so I'm driven to ask, is it possible to add this code to some sort of cache, and how hard would it be to implement it?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Developer
Jun 5, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Alright, I'll wait then. For now I'll look at the code IL2CPU generates for one line, and generate the X# version instead, as that processing is much faster from what I can tell.  Also, what method would I need to override to create a X# function to include from a file? As with things this large, writing it in X# will be about (this is a guess based on the relative length of a single instruction (no I've not actually counted the length, it's just a guess based on sight) ) 20 times larger than in actual asm.

Coordinator
Jun 5, 2011 at 4:56 PM
If you have resources (= time) to spend, please join our mailinglist, we could really use help in testing the kernel and compiler etc...

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 5:06 PM, blah38621 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Alright, I'll wait then. For now I'll look at the code IL2CPU generates for one line, and generate the X# version instead, as that processing is much faster from what I can tell. Also, what method would I need to override to create a X# function to include from a file? As with things this large, writing it in X# will be about (this is a guess based on the relative length of a single instruction (no I've not actually counted the length, it's just a guess based on sight) ) 20 times larger than in actual asm.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Developer
Jun 5, 2011 at 5:06 PM

I do have time to spend, and i am already on the mailing list :P

Coordinator
Jun 5, 2011 at 5:15 PM
Ah, right, sorry, so introduce yourself, and ask what to do. Also, these kind of questions (about development) are better on the mailinglist. This group is more like a -users group, while the mailinglist is more like a -dev one.. :)

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 7:06 PM, blah38621 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I do have time to spend, and i am already on the mailing list :P