Convert String To Uint? Possible?

Jul 12, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Hey Guys. Sorry to bug you. Im sure your really busy but how do I make a uint = a string like this 

uint A = 0;

string b = "1";

A = (uint)b;

But it does not work, I also tried

A = uint.parse(b);

but when I commpiled the code cosmos gave me a error 

so is there a way to do this in cosmos. Thanks guys - Matt

Jul 13, 2011 at 3:49 AM
Unfortunately I ran into the same problem. If you read the cosmos error, it says Plug Needed. Feel free to submit this to the issue tracker, or write a plug.

-iProcessor

On Jul 12, 2011, at 6:42 PM, "civilwarrock" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hey Guys. Sorry to bug you. Im sure your really busy but how do I make a uint = a string like this

uint A = 0;

string b = "1";

A = (uint)b;

A = uint.parse(b);

Coordinator
Jul 13, 2011 at 7:23 AM
for now, try to use int32.parse...

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 4:49 AM, iProcessor <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Unfortunately I ran into the same problem. If you read the cosmos error, it says Plug Needed. Feel free to submit this to the issue tracker, or write a plug.

-iProcessor

uint A = 0;

string b = "1";

A = (uint)b;

A = uint.parse(b);

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jul 13, 2011 at 1:39 PM
So ur saying string to int32 is plugged?

Sent from my iPod

On Jul 13, 2011, at 2:23 AM, "mterwoord" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

-iProcessor

uint A = 0;

string b = "1";

A = (uint)b;

A = uint.parse(b);

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Jul 13, 2011 at 1:46 PM
i think the parse method is yes..

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 2:40 PM, iProcessor <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Sent from my iPod

-iProcessor

uint A = 0;

string b = "1";

A = (uint)b;

A = uint.parse(b);

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:09 PM
Thank you! I can finally finish my operating system's coding language!

On Jul 13, 2011, at 8:46 AM, "mterwoord" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Sent from my iPod

-iProcessor

uint A = 0;

string b = "1";

A = (uint)b;

A = uint.parse(b);

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:56 PM
mterwoord wrote:

Sent from my iPod

-iProcessor

uint A = 0;

string b = "1";

A = (uint)b;

A = uint.parse(b);

I tried it and no luck. Cosmos gave me a error so I guess I have to wait till Ms6 releases. Yours Truly - Matt

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:10 PM

This code will work

public static uint ConvertToUint32(string d)
{
    uint t = 0;
    for(t = 0;t < 4,294,967,294;t++)
    {
         if(t.ToString() == d)
         {
             return t;
         }
    }
}

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:35 PM
Grunt wrote:

This code will work

{
    uint t = 0;
    {
         if(t.ToString() == d)
         {
             return t;
         }
    }
}

Thanks Grunt, But I tried the code and gave me a few errors so I rewrote it but it does not work. Please Help. Thanks - Matt

Code:

public static uint StringConvertToUint(string stringtoconvert)
       {
           uint t = 0;
           Boolean stop = false;
           for (t = 0; t < 42949672; t++)
           {
               if (stop == false)
               {
                   if (t.ToString() == stringtoconvert)
                   {
                       stop = true;
                       return t;
                   }
               }
           }
           return t;
       }

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Oh sorry , i just came up with it i wasnt thinking lol but instead of using the bool stop just type break; it will end the loop

Developer
Jul 14, 2011 at 6:07 AM
civilwarrock wrote:
Thanks Grunt, But I tried the code and gave me a few errors so I rewrote it but it does not work. Please Help. Thanks - Matt

Code:

{
           uint t = 0;
           Boolean stop = false;
           {
               if (stop == false)
               {
                   {
                       stop = true;
                       return t;
                   }
               }
           }
           return t;
       }

Time for a C# lesson... Your stop variable is entirely and completely unneccessary, and on top of that doesn't even stop the loop.

return t;

return by definition returns out of a function. So the function ends when you call return. If you wanted to use the value of t after the loop, without returning, the way to do that would be to use break like Grunt suggested instead of return.

As a solution to the problem, it should work, and does work in the DevKit (since we fixed most of the .ToString() methods), but it will be very slow. I will work on a solution and post it for you later.

Coordinator
Jul 14, 2011 at 7:18 AM
I never explicitly claimed it works, i just asked to try something. Regarding your work around: DANGEROUS!! takes a HUGE amount of ram, and will likely be slow as hell... Best to make a real parse function (for which i'm still confident we had something..

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 7:07 AM, sschocke <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

civilwarrock wrote:

Code:

{
           uint t = 0;
           Boolean stop = false;
           {
               if (stop == false)
               {
                   {
                       stop = true;
                       return t;
                   }
               }
           }
           return t;
       }

Time for a C# lesson... Your stop variable is entirely and completely unneccessary, and on top of that doesn't even stop the loop.

return t;

return by definition returns out of a function. So the function ends when you call return. If you wanted to use the value of t after the loop, without returning, the way to do that would be to use break like Grunt suggested instead of return.

As a solution to the problem, it should work, and does work in the DevKit (since we fixed most of the .ToString() methods), but it will be very slow. I will work on a solution and post it for you later.

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:32 PM
Matt and I use ms4. that's why none of this would compile with cosmos. I found a way to get this work around to work as well.

Sent from my iPod

On Jul 14, 2011, at 2:18 AM, "mterwoord" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I never explicitly claimed it works, i just asked to try something. Regarding your work around: DANGEROUS!! takes a HUGE amount of ram, and will likely be slow as hell... Best to make a real parse function (for which i'm still confident we had something..

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 7:07 AM, sschocke <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

civilwarrock wrote:

Code:

{
           uint t = 0;
           Boolean stop = false;
           {
               if (stop == false)
               {
                   {
                       stop = true;
                       return t;
                   }
               }
           }
           return t;
       }

return t;

return by definition returns out of a function. So the function ends when you call return. If you wanted to use the value of t after the loop, without returning, the way to do that would be to use break like Grunt suggested instead of return.

Coordinator
Jul 14, 2011 at 12:47 PM
I already said this a multiple times: we dont use the MSx naming for releases anymore...Since MS5, there have been 2 or 3 releases already

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 8:56 PM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

mterwoord wrote:

Sent from my iPod

-iProcessor

uint A = 0;

string b = "1";

A = (uint)b;

A = uint.parse(b);

I tried it and no luck. Cosmos gave me a error so I guess I have to wait till Ms6 releases. Yours Truly - Matt

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:25 PM
But saying Ms4 is still correct right?

Sent from my iPod

On Jul 14, 2011, at 7:47 AM, "mterwoord" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I already said this a multiple times: we dont use the MSx naming for releases anymore...Since MS5, there have been 2 or 3 releases already

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 8:56 PM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

mterwoord wrote:

Sent from my iPod

-iProcessor

uint A = 0;

string b = "1";

A = (uint)b;

A = uint.parse(b);

Coordinator
Jul 14, 2011 at 1:28 PM
y

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 2:25 PM, iProcessor <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Sent from my iPod

mterwoord wrote:

Sent from my iPod

-iProcessor

uint A = 0;

string b = "1";

A = (uint)b;

A = uint.parse(b);

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:31 PM
Well I put ms4 alot so I don't want to look stupid.

How can I join the mailing list? and no one is ever replying on irc.

Sent from my iPod

On Jul 14, 2011, at 8:28 AM, "mterwoord" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

y

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 2:25 PM, iProcessor <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Sent from my iPod

mterwoord wrote:

Sent from my iPod

-iProcessor

uint A = 0;

string b = "1";

A = (uint)b;

A = uint.parse(b);

Coordinator
Jul 14, 2011 at 3:18 PM
On 7/14/2011 8:31 AM, iProcessor wrote:
> How can I join the mailing list? and no one is ever replying on irc.

I'm on IRC a lot, but I have a lot of connection issues with freenode.
And weirder yet, they typically occur from home but not "work", despite
it being the same ISP... Prob the FBI tap...
Jul 14, 2011 at 3:22 PM
Lol, but how do I join the mailing list?

Sent from my iPod

On Jul 14, 2011, at 10:18 AM, "kudzu" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

On 7/14/2011 8:31 AM, iProcessor wrote:
> How can I join the mailing list? and no one is ever replying on irc.

I'm on IRC a lot, but I have a lot of connection issues with freenode.
And weirder yet, they typically occur from home but not "work", despite
it being the same ISP... Prob the FBI tap...
Jul 14, 2011 at 6:34 PM
Grunt wrote:

Oh sorry , i just came up with it i wasnt thinking lol but instead of using the bool stop just type break; it will end the loop

Its ok grunt dont worry about it. I do the same thing some times, lol. Oh ok never knew that well I learn something new every day. Thanks Grunt - Matt

Jul 14, 2011 at 6:35 PM
iProcessor wrote:

-iProcessor

uint A = 0;

string b = "1";

A = (uint)b;

A = uint.parse(b);

I thought about writing a plug but I really dont know how to use the dev kit. Anyway at least I have a working string ton uint converter. Yours Truly - Matt

Coordinator
Jul 15, 2011 at 2:10 AM
On 7/14/2011 10:22 AM, iProcessor wrote:
> Lol, but how do I join the mailing list?

http://cosmos.codeplex.com
Jul 15, 2011 at 2:47 AM
I sent a request to join the yahoo group.

Sent from my iPod

On Jul 14, 2011, at 9:10 PM, "kudzu" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

On 7/14/2011 10:22 AM, iProcessor wrote:
> Lol, but how do I join the mailing list?

http://cosmos.codeplex.com
Developer
Jul 16, 2011 at 7:56 PM

The only reason that code doesn't work is because you don't do anything if you fail to find it. Simply throw an exception if it finishes the thing :P

Grunt wrote:

This code will work

{
    uint t = 0;
    {
         if(t.ToString() == d)
         {
             return t;
         }
    }
}

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Ya also I had commas in 4,294,967,294 but that is just because i googled the maximum size of a 32 bit unsigned integer and pasted it into my code lol

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:46 AM

I did end up figuring it out. Thanks Grunt, that helped me in alot of ways. Your the best! Thanks - Matt 

Developer
Jul 18, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Well, I'm going to write a new method for it anyways :P Will post it once it's done :P (not going to deal with the repository atm, as this computer's being annoying :P)

Jul 18, 2011 at 11:46 PM
blah38621 wrote:

Well, I'm going to write a new method for it anyways :P Will post it once it's done :P (not going to deal with the repository atm, as this computer's being annoying :P)

lol. Ok thanks blah38261. Yours Truly - Matt