ARM compiler

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:48 PM

If I wanted to have a look at getting the compiler to start compiling for ARM instruction sets, can anyone point me in the right direction to go about doing that? I guess that each CIL instruction gets replaced by either a single or multiple x86 instructions that perform the same operation, and that ARM instructions could be defined instead.

Perhaps someone has made a start and not finished this, and perhaps I could get involved and see what is needed to continue this work.

I am assuming once the compiler supports ARM, and there is the some boot code, then all the higher level code would then run on ARM also.

BTW I do not have any experience of compiler development, but I would like to have a crack at it.

Coordinator
Dec 28, 2011 at 2:57 PM
First step is to join the mailinglist.
Next is the interesting questions:
+ Are you familiar with assembler programming? (either intel or arm)
+ How "desperate" (as a non-native english speaker, i know this word is the wrong one in the context, but culdn't find a better one) are you to get ARM working?
The reason of the second question is: We're close to getting Read/WRite support of FAT working. We're currently blocked by a compiler bug (intel). For you to get familiar with the compiler, etc, I think itwould be better for you to help us fix the current issues first, then we can get you familiar with the compiler etc, and then after that you'll have a large(r) codebase to test the arm compiler with..
When joining the mailinglist, be sure to send a short introduction to the list, explaining who you are, interests (arm, etc), guess of how much time you think you can spend, etc..

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 4:48 PM, danwalmsley <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

If I wanted to have a look at getting the compiler to start compiling for ARM instruction sets, can anyone point me in the right direction to go about doing that? I guess that each CIL instruction gets replaced by either a single or multiple x86 instructions that perform the same operation, and that ARM instructions could be defined instead.

Perhaps someone has made a start and not finished this, and perhaps I could get involved and see what is needed to continue this work.

I am assuming once the compiler supports ARM, and there is the some boot code, then all the higher level code would then run on ARM also.

BTW I do not have any experience of compiler development, but I would like to have a crack at it.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Dec 29, 2011 at 9:54 PM
> (intel). For you to get familiar with the compiler, etc, I think itwould
> be better for you to help us fix the current issues first, then we can
> get you familiar with the compiler etc, and then after that you'll have
> a large(r) codebase to test the arm compiler with..

My "situation" is still keeping me too busy, but I have time to help and
mentor if someone else has the time....
Dec 29, 2011 at 10:09 PM

I guess in this kind of project man hours are difficult to find.

Where can I find information on the compiler bug you are having at the moment?

I have experience of assembler (non-x86) arm and other RISC based instruction sets. I have worked with my brother on a FAT driver written in C, (http://www.fullfat-fs.co.uk/).

My interest in ARM is not through any need it is purely based on interest. I see it as important that OSes move to support this platform additionally to x86.

I am away at the moment, but when I return I will join the mailing list, and fingers crossed I may be able to donate some hours...

Coordinator
Dec 29, 2011 at 10:12 PM
> Where can I find information on the compiler bug you are having at the
> moment?

ldfld is the issue at hand. I think there are notes in my playground. If
you want to add me on skype I can get you started.

> My interest in ARM is not through any need it is purely based on
> interest. I see it as important that OSes move to support this platform
> additionally to x86.

Im quite interested in ARM myself, but to date its just been a matter of
focusing our few resources. Everyone wants to work on the roof, but we
are still building the foundation. :)