Resolution and Background color

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Hi, I created a console with your system, but i can only change the background of spaces or letters.

How can I change ALL the console?

Developer
Jan 20, 2012 at 4:10 PM

The color behind the letter is all that it is possible to change (also the color of the text itself.), meaning that, to change the color of everything, you need to write a character (probably a space), to every point in the console, while you have the background color set to that value.

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Okey, thank you, and please, put the threading in cosmos because without the sleep I can't make a welcome window :(

Developer
Jan 20, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Threading is nowhere near easy. Before we even begin to think about threading, we need to make sure we have certain bits already in place, such as the FS layout, and exception handling.

Also, your using MS4, which is very old, and will never be updated. Threading will only ever get added in the devkit, and eventually, a release version. I would suggest switching to the devkit rather than MS4.

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:16 PM
blah38621 wrote:

Threading is nowhere near easy. Before we even begin to think about threading, we need to make sure we have certain bits already in place, such as the FS layout, and exception handling.

Also, your using MS4, which is very old, and will never be updated. Threading will only ever get added in the devkit, and eventually, a release version. I would suggest switching to the devkit rather than MS4.

Actually, I built threading, and it is possible to do threading. However if you read whats below, you will see a slight draw back from this method, but hey at least it works. Heres how we do it:

build a script runner, make it have the ability to run one line of code. Then make a script handler that can add a script to the list of running scripts, and then make it be able to run one line of code from every script. I built it, and it works. I am just waiting for filesystem support, as I want to be able to run scripts from my hard drive :p.

Here's some detailed information on how I figure this out, hopefully this will save some time

Ok so here was my theory, see Multi tasking really isn't real, I mean if you had two processor's in theory you could run two peace's of code at the same time, well this isn't feasible and most likely wont work, so how would you do multitasking? Well in Cosmos we are single threaded, so if you create a new project you notice a Kernel Run Void() and A Kernel Build void() These are important, now you cant run bits of C# code at the same time, but however if you wrote a scripting engine that could run basic scripts, you could run code correct? Yes, but this still isn't multitasking. How would you run five scripts at the same time? Simple, run one line of code from each of the five scripts on the run method, because it is being called over and over again. Ok so this allows me to run five scripts at the same time? Not really, but it lets you run scripts without having to wait for another to finish before you could run the other one, or resume your OS. So if you built a script engine, that had a programming language built into it, and was able to run one line of code from a script, and build a task manager that had a list of scripts and made it so that on the Kernel Run Void() it would run one line of code from every script, now if you build a window system and tie that into the script engine, you can have apps. =). I did this it took a while, I have tested it, and I built mine so I could start and stop or resume scripts at any given time. Hope this helps, if you want some already built code that does this, let me know. Thanks - Matt 

Developer
Jan 20, 2012 at 5:24 PM

The thing is, that's not real threading. That's simulated threading. Also, you don't want to write an OS in a scripting language :P The thing he's wanting is true threading, hardware-based threading, scheduling, etc.

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:36 PM
Edited Jan 20, 2012 at 5:37 PM
blah38621 wrote:

The thing is, that's not real threading. That's simulated threading. Also, you don't want to write an OS in a scripting language :P The thing he's wanting is true threading, hardware-based threading, scheduling, etc.

Oh gotcha ya, yeah true it is simulating threading, but it allowed me apps. And the OS isn't in a scripting language just the apps :p. Well I guess hell have to wait until threading is support, or attempt my route for apps. Thanks - Matt

And you actually dont need threading right now for anything I dont think, just put everything you want updated in the Kernel Run Void(). :p

Edit: and he did mention above he wanted a welcome window, so I think my route will be sufficent for his needs at the moment :p

Developer
Jan 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM

H.e. apostraphe l.l.

On Jan 20, 2012 11:36 AM, "Civilwarrock" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

blah38621 wrote:

The thing is, that's not real threading. That's simulated threading. Also, you don't want to write an OS in a scripting language :P The thing he's wanting is true threading, hardware-based threading, scheduling, etc.

Oh gotcha ya, yeah true it is simulating threading, but it allowed me apps. And the OS isn't in a scripting language just the apps :p. Well I guess hell have to wait until threading is support, or attempt my route for apps. Thanks - Matt

And you actually dont need threading right now for anything I dont think, just put everything you want updated in the Kernel Run Void(). :p

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Jan 21, 2012 at 8:10 AM
blah: we probably wont do hardware-based multithreading: most oses dont do that....

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 2:31 AM, joshbeitler <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

H.e. apostraphe l.l.

On Jan 20, 2012 11:36 AM, "Civilwarrock" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

blah38621 wrote:

The thing is, that's not real threading. That's simulated threading. Also, you don't want to write an OS in a scripting language :P The thing he's wanting is true threading, hardware-based threading, scheduling, etc.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Developer
Jan 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Well, by hardware based, I mean that we're actually able to run a thread on each thread of the actual CPU. All psudo-threading (such as civil's) are limited to only using 1 thread on the actual cpu.

Coordinator
Jan 22, 2012 at 8:00 AM
real threading basically uses the same principle he's using, except more lowlevel stuff to make it work with normal code instead of using a script...

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 6:09 PM, blah38621 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Well, by hardware based, I mean that we're actually able to run a thread on each thread of the actual CPU. All psudo-threading (such as civil's) are limited to only using 1 thread on the actual cpu.