How to read a file?

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:37 PM

I want to know, how can i read a file?

Coordinator
Jan 23, 2012 at 11:12 PM
> I want to know, how can i read a file?

Look at the breakpointsos project.
Jan 24, 2012 at 1:45 AM
kudzu wrote:

If you want to read a file look at PearOs, pearos.codeplex.com we have filesystem support for reading files, and have examples on how to use. Thanks - Matt

Coordinator
Jan 24, 2012 at 8:00 AM
Civilwarrock: do you still use the ancient MS4 release, or are you guys using the latest release?

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 2:45 AM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

kudzu wrote:

If you want to read a file look at PearOs, pearos.codeplex.com we have filesystem support for reading files, and have examples on how to use. Thanks - Matt

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jan 24, 2012 at 8:49 AM
mterwoord wrote:
Civilwarrock: do you still use the ancient MS4 release, or are you guys using the latest release?

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 2:45 AM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

kudzu wrote:

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Nope I am using the current source. Thanks - Matt

Coordinator
Jan 24, 2012 at 8:57 AM
Civilwarrock: instead of just copying everything from cosmos source, and fix it up (and maintain it yourself): why not join cosmos and have the hardware support merged with Cosmos?

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 9:50 AM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

mterwoord wrote:

kudzu wrote:

Jan 24, 2012 at 8:44 PM
Edited Jan 24, 2012 at 8:58 PM
mterwoord wrote:
Civilwarrock: instead of just copying everything from cosmos source, and fix it up (and maintain it yourself): why not join cosmos and have the hardware support merged with Cosmos?

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 9:50 AM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

mterwoord wrote:

kudzu wrote:

I want to mterwoord, and I would love too. But I haven't been added as a developer even though I joined the mailing list. And are you talking about my classes in the Core, like Mouse/Keyboard/Screen/Filesystem Ect.. ? Thanks - Matt

Coordinator
Jan 25, 2012 at 7:48 AM
yes

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 9:44 PM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

mterwoord wrote:

mterwoord wrote:

kudzu wrote:

I want to mterwoord, and I would love too. But Kudzu wont add me as a developer even though I joined the mailing list. And are you talking about my classes in the Core, like Mouse/Keyboard/Screen/Filesystem Ect.. ? Thanks - Matt

Jan 25, 2012 at 7:21 PM
mterwoord wrote:
yes

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 9:44 PM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

mterwoord wrote:

mterwoord wrote:

kudzu wrote:

I want to mterwoord, and I would love too. But Kudzu wont add me as a developer even though I joined the mailing list. And are you talking about my classes in the Core, like Mouse/Keyboard/Screen/Filesystem Ect.. ? Thanks - Matt

Ok so you want me to implement me classes into where? And Cosmos is a kernel, isn't the os's job to have classes like that? Maybe not, ok so you want me to implement me classes, so do I need to be a developer to do this? A little more info on what I need to do would be very helpful. Thanks mterwood - Matt

Coordinator
Jan 26, 2012 at 8:10 AM
Cosmos is an OS building kit. It consists of Kernel, Compiler, Drivers, Debugger, etc. from looking at file structure, you're copying stuff we already have to your own project which seems pointless to me...

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 8:21 PM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

mterwoord wrote:
yes

mterwoord wrote:

mterwoord wrote:

kudzu wrote:

Ok so you want me to implement me classes into where? And Cosmos is a kernel, isn't the os's job to have classes like that? Maybe not, ok so you want me to implement me classes, so do I need to be a developer to do this? A little more info on what I need to do would be very helpful. Thanks mterwood - Matt

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:09 AM
mterwoord wrote:
Cosmos is an OS building kit. It consists of Kernel, Compiler, Drivers, Debugger, etc. from looking at file structure, you're copying stuff we already have to your own project which seems pointless to me...

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 8:21 PM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

mterwoord wrote:
yes

mterwoord wrote:

mterwoord wrote:

kudzu wrote:

Hmm, well here the thing you need to know about me, I like to reinvent the wheel. It allows my mind to learn and grow on a certain subject, so when I create the FATSupport classes I was creating a wrapper for the Cosmos code for easier implantation into my code, and it allows it for other people to use the hardware with simple calls. It sounds crazy, and probilly is. Its just the way I code in this case. Like my ScreenHandler class, it wrapps around the VGAScreen allowing me double buffer support and easy calls. As I said I like to reinvent the wheel. Now if what your saying is I should implement these classes into Cosmos, then that's fine, but your now saying their pointless. so in that case you wouldn't need them if they are already implemented? Sorry if I am not following mterwood. Thanks mterwood - Matt

Coordinator
Jan 26, 2012 at 9:20 AM
I did not have a deep look at the code, but it seems to me many things are just wrappers (and not adding real value). SO then my point is: why not just use the original calls/types/etc?

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 10:09 AM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

mterwoord wrote:

mterwoord wrote:
yes

mterwoord wrote:

mterwoord wrote:

kudzu wrote:

Hmm, well here the thing you need to know about me, I like to reinvent the wheel. It allows my mind to learn and grow on a certain subject, so when I create the FATSupport classes I was creating a wrapper for the Cosmos code for easier implantation into my code, and it allows it for other people to use the hardware with simple calls. It sounds crazy, and probilly is. Its just the way I code in this case. Like my ScreenHandler class, it wrapps around the VGAScreen allowing me double buffer support and easy calls. As I said I like to reinvent the wheel. Now if what your saying is I should implement these classes into Cosmos, then that's fine, but your now saying their pointless. so in that case you wouldn't need them if they are already implemented? Sorry if I am not following mterwood. Thanks mterwood - Matt

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:44 AM
Edited Jan 26, 2012 at 9:53 AM
mterwoord wrote:
I did not have a deep look at the code, but it seems to me many things are just wrappers (and not adding real value). SO then my point is: why not just use the original calls/types/etc?

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 10:09 AM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

mterwoord wrote:

mterwoord wrote:
yes

mterwoord wrote:

mterwoord wrote:

kudzu wrote:

Hmm, well here the thing you need to know about me, I like to reinvent the wheel. It allows my mind to learn and grow on a certain subject, so when I create the FATSupport classes I was creating a wrapper for the Cosmos code for easier implantation into my code, and it allows it for other people to use the hardware with simple calls. It sounds crazy, and probilly is. Its just the way I code in this case. Like my ScreenHandler class, it wrapps around the VGAScreen allowing me double buffer support and easy calls. As I said I like to reinvent the wheel. Now if what your saying is I should implement these classes into Cosmos, then that's fine, but your now saying their pointless. so in that case you wouldn't need them if they are already implemented? Sorry if I am not following mterwood. Thanks mterwood - Matt

Ok, so when I was younger and just learning to code, I found a style of coding that was very useful when writting massive project, also know as wrappers/toolkits. See instead of me using Cosmos.Hardware.VGAScreen VGAScreen = new Cosmos.Hardware.VGAScreen(); and then do VGAScreen.SetMode, ect. I could just call: Core.Screen.Screen.TheScreen.Start(); simple and with less lines. Or lets say I want to clear the screen... Core.Screen.Screen.TheScreen.Clear(color); I write wappers and toolkits kits to help me code things, and to make my code more orginized and efficient. And the reason why I dont use the already built function is because back in MS4 I could call Cosmos.Hardware.VGAScreen.Clear() it was one line and simple. But it resulted in slopy non orginzed code. So I use wrappers and toolkits to aid me, and make my code cleaner. As I said sounds crazy and probilly is but it's the way I do things and thats why I guess I am good at coding, cause I do things different. =). Thanks mterwood, and I hope this answers you question. Thanks - Matt

P.S. and I code like that because its like building a game engine, every peace either relies on each other or functions in some way that is helpful to the coder.

And I dont just copy and paste code from Cosmos, look at my screen handler code under the screen folder in the core, and study it and read what I write and you will see what I am doing =).

Developer
Jan 27, 2012 at 8:36 PM

The thing is COSMOS code isn't perfect and can cause lag, (the CPU doing too much) so Matt and us take you brilliant code and make it a bit more efficent if you know what I mean. No offence to your team who do a brilliant job with complicated ASM and such which I could never do :D

Developer
Jan 27, 2012 at 10:25 PM

if you contribute your code, the base code becomes that much easy to use...

On Jan 27, 2012 1:36 PM, "melikesPCcheese" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

The thing is COSMOS code isn't perfect and can cause lag, (the CPU doing too much) so Matt and us take you brilliant code and make it a bit more efficent if you know what I mean. No offence to your team who do a brilliant job with complicated ASM and such which I could never do :D

Jan 28, 2012 at 3:48 AM
joshbeitler wrote:

Ok heres the thing I would like to contribute my code, but no one takes me seriously. I joined the mailing list. That was step number one, I have written tutorials and code for Cosmos, but I never get added as a developer. So then you guys want my help, I am happy to help, but I never get added as a dev so I can never help. And I guess I cant help until the day I am added as a dev. So if you guys would not mind, please add me as a dev as I should have been, when bran new people get added, and I dont. Thanks - Matt 

I am very happy to help impove this project, just please take me seriously. Thanks - Matt =)

Developer
Jan 28, 2012 at 3:51 AM

Did you request a background check? You know, all devs need one...jk.

On Jan 27, 2012 8:48 PM, "civilwarrock" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

joshbeitler wrote:

Ok heres the thing I would like to contribute my code, but no one takes me seriously. I joined the mailing list. That was step number one, I have written tutorials and code for Cosmos, but I never get added as a developer. So then you guys want my help, I am happy to help, but I never get added as a dev so I can never help. And I guess I cant help until the day I am added as a dev. So if you guys would not mind, please add me as a dev as I should have been, when bran new people get added, and I dont. Thanks - Matt

I am very happy to help impove this project, just please take me seriously. Thanks - Matt =)

Jan 28, 2012 at 3:58 AM
joshbeitler wrote:

Did you request a background check? You know, all devs need one...jk.

On Jan 27, 2012 8:48 PM, "civilwarrock" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

joshbeitler wrote:

Very funny, for a open source project I doubt it =). But yes I could make the base code very simple and possibly even faster. As I have worked on a few things, and I have found ways to make Cosmos run faster and use less RAM and make functions take less time to complete. And I could implement double buffer right into Cosmos if you guys want, up to you. Thanks Cosmos - Matt

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I just registred here to tell you:

FUCKING ADD THAT GUY AS A DEV!

Regards,

Yuki.

I was coder on Dud3, we had the first really well looking GUI featuring reflections, docks, apps, icons, pictures,.... 

Developer
Jan 31, 2012 at 1:53 PM
Edited Jan 31, 2012 at 1:57 PM

And OForms currently has all of that except reflections, because I don't feel their needed. OForms is even in the process of becoming a true window system, capable of running independant applications, using a proper messaging system. Then there's Orvid.Graphics, which forms the basis of the entire OForms system, capable of loading and drawing .bdf fonts, and loading the same number (if not more) of image formats than many of the popular image editing programs, including .dds image loading on-par only with nVidia's own library, capable of drawing any polygon, as well as quadratic & cubic splines, all done in pure C#, with every last method and field documented, to a point almost verging on paranoia.

With that being said, civilwarrok will get dev access when we on the cosmos dev team feel he's ready for it, and that it would benifit the project as an OS framework, and not an OS in-and-of itself.

Developer
Jan 31, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Well said.

On Jan 31, 2012 6:53 AM, "blah38621" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

And OForms currently has all of that except reflections, because I don't feel their needed. OForms is even in the process of becoming a true window system, capable of running independant applications, using a proper messaging system. Then there's Orvid.Graphics, which forms the basis of the entire OForms system, capable of loading and drawing .bdf fonts, and loading the same number (if not more) of image formats than many of the popular image editing programs, including .dds image loading on-par only with nVidia's own library, capable of drawing any polygon, as well as quadratic & cubic splines, all done in pure C#.

With that being said, civilwarrok will get dev access when we on the cosmos dev team feel he's ready for it, and that it would benifit the project as an OS framework, and not an OS in-and-of itself.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:41 PM
I wouldn't give myself access to cosmos. Just sayin.
Coordinator
Jan 31, 2012 at 2:44 PM
How do you mean that?

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 3:41 PM, d1ag0n <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I wouldn't give myself access to cosmos. Just sayin.

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:49 PM
YukiFX wrote:

Regards,

Yuki.

I was coder on Dud3, we had the first really well looking GUI featuring reflections, docks, apps, icons, pictures,.... 

Lol, yeah I saw Dud3, the only problem with alot of the OS's, where they were not engines. Just like a ton of code in one class. Like I know grunts code he gave me had everything in one class which was kind of a mess, it worked but not practical. My goal is to build a OS and a engine inside of it, for epic speed, but organized simple code. Like yesturday on Pear, I finished some touches on our Virtual Filesystem because FAT doesn't seem to like at the moment, and I wrote our first app for pear and was able to run it. Our windows are moveable. We run well on 256 mb or RAM. And I am really just trying to make something good. I built a ASM code engine that can RUN ASM based code, which allows us Apps =). I cant wait to get more and more advanced until someday I am added as a dev =). Thanks - Matt

I always wanted a OS like Dud3, now I do. But mines more weird looking =).

Developer
Jan 31, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Darn, we worked hard to make Dud3 wierd.

On Jan 31, 2012 12:49 PM, "civilwarrock" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

YukiFX wrote:

Regards,

Yuki.

Lol, yeah I saw Dud3, the only problem with alot of the OS's, where they were not engines. Just like a ton of code in one class. Like I know grunts code he gave me had everything in one class which was kind of a mess, it worked but not practical. My goal is to build a OS and a engine inside of it, for epic speed, but organized simple code. Like yesturday on Pear, I finished some touches on our Virtual Filesystem because FAT doesn't seem to like at the moment, and I wrote our first app for pear and was able to run it. Our windows are moveable. We run well on 256 mb or RAM. And I am really just trying to make something good. I built a ASM code engine that can RUN ASM based code, which allows us Apps =). I cant wait to get more and more advanced until someday I am added as a dev =). Thanks - Matt

I always wanted a OS like Dud3, now I do. But mines more weird looking =).

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:42 PM

You didn't work on Dud3. And I didn't call it weird. I said mine looks a little weird =). keep in mind all of ours would look better if we were not in 320x200 =). Thanks - Matt

Developer
Jan 31, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Actually, I was a backend dev.

On Jan 31, 2012 3:42 PM, "civilwarrock" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

You didn't work on Dud3. And I didn't call it weird. I said mine looks a little weird =). keep in mind all of ours would look better if we were not in 320x200 =). Thanks - Matt

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:51 PM
joshbeitler wrote:

Hmm didn't know that, you learn something new every day =). Thanks - Matt

Developer
Jan 31, 2012 at 10:52 PM

So true.

On Jan 31, 2012 3:51 PM, "civilwarrock" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

joshbeitler wrote:

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:41 PM
joshbeitler wrote:

So true.

joshbeitler wrote:

josh, if you worked on Dud3, why dont you start your own GUI based Cosmos os instead of a DOS? Thanks - Matt

Developer
Jan 31, 2012 at 11:58 PM
I am waiting for more advanced GUI capabilities. My OS, as of now, yes, it is DOS, but it is an excellent command line. And I am actually working on a windowing/GUI system. The current builds are extremely slow, but I haven't tested all the speedup things posted here.

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 4:41 PM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

joshbeitler wrote:

So true.

joshbeitler wrote:

josh, if you worked on Dud3, why dont you start your own GUI based Cosmos os instead of a DOS? Thanks - Matt

--
BOW BEFORE ME EARTH
FOR I WILL HAVE MY VENGEANCE ON YOUR PITIFUL PLANET

Joshua Beitler
CEO, Cyber Computer Group
joshbeitler@gmail.com | @joshbeitler

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Its not slow. Look at my os, we have double buffer! You would think it would seriously slow it down because of the way we wrote it, but it doesn't at all. So personally I dont think Cosmos is slow at all. I think the time to build a GUI is better than ever. Thanks - Matt =)

Developer
Feb 1, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I just havent tried to make it fast. On my os, i focus on actual operating system theory and optimizing the kernel. Im not that worried about a GUI. I personaly like the geeky and hackerish feel of the console. :P

On Jan 31, 2012 5:03 PM, "civilwarrock" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Its not slow. Look at my os, we have double buffer! You would think it would seriously slow it down because of the way we wrote it, but it doesn't at all. So personally I dont think Cosmos is slow at all. I think the time to build a GUI is better than ever. Thanks - Matt =)

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:07 AM
joshbeitler wrote:

I just havent tried to make it fast. On my os, i focus on actual operating system theory and optimizing the kernel. Im not that worried about a GUI. I personaly like the geeky and hackerish feel of the console. :P

Lol, I do as well like that look, but I love GUI's. =) Thanks - Matt

Developer
Feb 1, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I think this is the longest topic ever here. On new site we need a forum so we can /lock topics :-)

On Jan 31, 2012 5:07 PM, "civilwarrock" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

joshbeitler wrote:

Lol, I do as well like that look, but I love GUI's. =) Thanks - Matt

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:12 AM

But I like long topics, they are so much fun. =). We had one on pear that was almost 200 posts. I got so long I couldn't view it on mobile. Lol Thanks - Matt =)

Developer
Feb 1, 2012 at 12:14 AM

lol long topics = angry admins. *shudder*

On Jan 31, 2012 5:12 PM, "civilwarrock" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

But I like long topics, they are so much fun. =). We had one on pear that was almost 200 posts. I got so long I couldn't view it on mobile. Lol Thanks - Matt =)

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Oh their nice, I think they just like that fact that we are here =). Well hopefully. Thanks - Matt

Developer
Feb 1, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Wait, what are we talking about? Wasnt it supposed to be reading files? :)

On Jan 31, 2012 5:17 PM, "civilwarrock" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Oh their nice, I think they just like that fact that we are here =). Well hopefully. Thanks - Matt

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:21 AM
joshbeitler wrote:

Wait, what are we talking about? Wasnt it supposed to be reading files? :)

On Jan 31, 2012 5:17 PM, "civilwarrock" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Lol, um yes files... they are a file =). No just kiddin. Um well FAT needs some work, seems like it doesn't like Live boots, and it needs write so we can partition and add files or delete files =). Thanks - Matt

Coordinator
Feb 1, 2012 at 12:23 AM
> Oh their nice, I think they just like that fact that we are here =).
> Well hopefully. Thanks - Matt

Actually you described it spot on.
Feb 1, 2012 at 12:27 AM
kudzu wrote:

Cool! Yeah you coordinators really are nice and good people, but its us who stick around build stuff, test Cosmos out, help some people when we can. And just try to help the project in any way we can. =). But the Coordinators own us, they do far more. =). Well I cant say that some Devs do very good work as well. Thanks - Matt

Developer
Feb 1, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Ciordinator != admin. Admins are evil. Coordinators are their bice coisons

On Jan 31, 2012 5:27 PM, "civilwarrock" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

kudzu wrote:

Cool! Yeah you coordinators really are nice and good people, but its us who stick around build stuff, test Cosmos out, help some people when we can. And just try to help the project in any way we can. =). But the Coordinators own us, they do far more. =). Well I cant say that some Devs do very good work as well. Thanks - Matt

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:31 AM
joshbeitler wrote:

kudzu wrote:

?? Not quite following =). Thanks - Matt

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:32 AM

This English is killing me.

On Jan 31, 2012 7:30 PM, "joshbeitler" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

kudzu wrote:

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:33 AM
d1ag0n wrote:

kudzu wrote:

Why is it because of the typos =). Thanks - Matt

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Not actually you Josh, you just happened to be last in thread.

On Jan 31, 2012 7:32 PM, "Nathan Stiles" <stiles.nathan@gmail.com> wrote:

kudzu wrote:

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Or maybe it was you. This thread sure is getting long.

On Jan 31, 2012 7:33 PM, "Nathan Stiles" <stiles.nathan@gmail.com> wrote:

kudzu wrote:

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:35 AM
d1ag0n wrote:

kudzu wrote:

Oh I get it, you aren't english are you? So for you its harder to understand what we are saying right? =). I am german, but good thing I didn't grow up there, I would have to learn english =(. Talk about hard. Thanks - Matt

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Made a new discussion, as this one was getting too big =). Thanks - Matt