Why is building my project significantly slower now that I have to compile my code from Visual Studio Express to the Integrated Shell?

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Building the sample project requires a relatively ridiculous twenty seconds to build whereas in Milestone Four; I could build it in a nearly instantaneous manner.

If I upgrade to Visual Studio, will I be able to build at a faster speed as I will no longer have to reference my project and build in another application?

Developer
Mar 4, 2012 at 3:59 AM

Milestone 4 just delayed where the compiling occurred for a bit, the devkit does this compiling all up-front.

Coordinator
Mar 4, 2012 at 8:09 AM
Orvid: please enlighten me: what delaying did we do?

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 5:59 AM, blah38621 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Milestone 4 just delayed where the compiling occurred for a bit, the devkit does this compiling all up-front.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Developer
Mar 4, 2012 at 2:54 PM

It's actually only a perceived difference, with MS4 the build time that you think of is the time spent in VS building, where-as most of the build time was actually in the build-tool, building the actual OS. With the devkit, the entire build time is in VS, thus increasing the perceived build time. (MS4 seperated the C# and IL2CPU build times, devkit doesn't)

Coordinator
Mar 4, 2012 at 3:27 PM
Actually later versions (i think starting with MS5), we still separate the build times (separate projects, one .csproj one .cosmos), but it's hardly noticable..

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 4:54 PM, blah38621 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

It's actually only a perceived difference, with MS4 the build time that you think of is the time spent in VS building, where-as most of the build time was actually in the build-tool, building the actual OS. With the devkit, the entire build time is in VS, thus increasing the perceived build time. (MS4 seperated the C# and IL2CPU build times, devkit doesn't)

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com