This project is read-only.

The bang of my existence!

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Hey guys, I usually don't ask for help to much but this is one of those times when I do need help. 

I have the ability to Convert Decimal To Hex, and Hex to Decimal. The only problem is it is slow!

With this ability I was able to write transparency code, along with opacity, but they rely heavily on the Conversions functions I am using. And they seem to be slow. Can you guys show me a faster way to Convert decimal to Hex, and Hex to decimal? Thanks, oh and did I mention it needs to be fast? Thanks - Matt

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Wait, does it need to be fast?

On Mar 27, 2012 5:30 PM, "civilwarrock" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hey guys, I usually don't ask for help to much but this is one of those times when I do need help.

I have the ability to Convert Decimal To Hex, and Hex to Decimal. The only problem is it is slow!

With this ability I was able to write transparency code, along with opacity, but they rely heavily on the Conversions functions I am using. And they seem to be slow. Can you guys show me a faster way to Convert decimal to Hex, and Hex to decimal? Thanks, oh and did I mention it needs to be fast? Thanks - Matt

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:57 AM
Why do you need to convert between the two? Could you post a code snipppet?
Mar 28, 2012 at 1:05 AM
Edited Mar 28, 2012 at 1:09 AM
EagleEyeSA wrote:
Why do you need to convert between the two? Could you post a code snipppet?

Well you see when you get a pixel from the screen in comes in the form of a decimal, aka int. So in order to extract the Red, Green, And Blue to alpha blend I need to convert it to hex, so that requires DecimalToHex, but once its in hex I need to get the red out, and the green, blue. So then I need to convert peaces of it into a decimal, so that requires HexToDecimal. 

I need the two. 

My code works, its just it can be super slow, and I cannot have that. And Josh, yes it does need to be fast if possible.

My conversion code:

private static string DIGITS = "0123456789ABCDEF";
        private static int res2 = 0;
        private static int sign = 0;
        private static int FromAny(string s, int radix)
        {
            res2 = 0;
            char[] sa = s.ToCharArray();
            sign = 1;
            for (int i = 0; i < s.Length; i++)
            {
                if (sa[i] != '-')
                {
                    res2 = res2 * radix + DIGITS.IndexOf(sa[i]);
                }
                else
                {
                    sign = -1;
                }
            }
            return sign * res2;
        }
        private static string res = "";
        private static int tmp = 0;
        private static string ToAny(int i, int radix)
        {
            if(i >= 0)
            {
            res = "";
            int tmp = i;
            while (tmp > 0) {
            res = DIGITS.ToCharArray()[tmp % radix] + res;
            tmp = tmp / radix;
            }
            return res;
            }
            else
            {
            return "-" + ToAny(-i, radix);
            }
         }

I just use that, and base of 16, ect...

Thanks for the quick replys. - Matt

Edit: and quick note, when getting the decimal returned from GetPixel from the screen to hex, you will need to add code that will add 0's if the length of the Hex is not 6. Because the form of it is like this:

00FF00

or: 000000

And what I was saying abouve about the peaes is this:

|  |  |

R G B

E R L

D E U

E E

N

So: 000000 = Red:00, Green:00, Blue:00, but its really 0,0,0

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:53 AM
I mean can you show us a snippet of where you're getting the hexidecimal string from? Because it seems odd that your only way of getting or setting that info would be a string.
Mar 28, 2012 at 3:08 AM

I noticed a few strange things about your code. I'll post them in order of precedence:

1. You have two variables named "tmp" one defined as:

private static int tmp

and another defined as:

int tmp

These could most certainly pose a problem later on, but may not necessarily be the reason

why your code is slow.

2. You call toCharArray() way too much. For each iteration of your loop you convert a string to a char array

and then manipulate one of its members. This is most likely what is making the code slow. Try creating an

instance variable which is a char array of the string you defined.

Cheers, Blackfireize

Mar 28, 2012 at 4:19 AM
Blackfireize wrote:

I noticed a few strange things about your code. I'll post them in order of precedence:

1. You have two variables named "tmp" one defined as:

private static int tmp

and another defined as:

int tmp

These could most certainly pose a problem later on, but may not necessarily be the reason

why your code is slow.

2. You call toCharArray() way too much. For each iteration of your loop you convert a string to a char array

and then manipulate one of its members. This is most likely what is making the code slow. Try creating an

instance variable which is a char array of the string you defined.

Cheers, Blackfireize

I removed toCharArray() and that made it a little faster, but not by much. It is still slow. There isn't a native x86 way to do this is there? Hmm well I guess my transparent code will just be a little slow until I can replace the ToHex, and ToDec functions. Thanks - Matt

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I'm confused on what you mean. By "native x86" do you mean native for the x86 or a native way implemented by the x86?

Either way, it may not be your hex to int algorithm. I re-read some of your earlier posts, and you said that your reading from

the VGA screen's video memory this is slow

"It's a lot faster if you copy text from an off-screen buffer, instead of reading from video and then write back." - http://ow.ly/9Vunx (That was a quote about 80x25 text mode however the same logic should apply to the VGA screen as well)

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:31 PM
civilwarrock: why are you converting to and from hex while reading from the video ram? can you explain what you're trying to do when this problem arises?

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 1:47 PM, blackfireize <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I'm confused on what you mean. By "native x86" do you mean native for the x86 or a native way implemented by the x86?

Either way, it may not be your hex to int algorithm. I re-read some of your earlier posts, and you said that your reading from

the VGA screen's video memory this is slow.

"It's a lot faster if you copy text from an off-screen buffer, instead of reading from video and then write back." - http://ow.ly/9Vunx (That was a quote about 80x25 text mode however the same logic should apply to the VGA screen as well)

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Civil:

To extract the RGBA components from an int, you can do the following:

public Pixel FromInt(int val)
{
    byte red = val & 0xFF000000;
    byte green = val & 0x00FF0000;
    byte blue = val & 0x0000FF00;
    byte alpha = val & 0x000000FF;
    return new Pixel(red, green, blue, alpha);
}

public struct Pixel
{
    public byte Red;
    public byte Green;
    public byte Blue;
    public byte Alpha;
    public Pixel(byte red, byte green, byte blue, byte alpha)
    {
        this.Red = red;
        this.Green = green;
        this.Blue = blue;
        this.Alpha = alpha;
    }
}
If you need more help, remember the IRC & google are your friend.
Mar 28, 2012 at 1:45 PM
not completely: you need to do some bitshifting:

val & 0xFF000000 means the zero's will be zeros in the end value, then doing the byte red = will give you a zero (always).

byte red = (byte)((val & 0xFF000000)>>24);
    byte green = (byte)((val & 0x00FF0000)>>16;
    byte blue = (byte)((val & 0x0000FF00)>>8;
    byte alpha = (byte)(val & 0x000000FF);

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 2:41 PM, blah38621 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Civil:

To extract the RGBA components from an int, you can do the following:

public Pixel FromInt(int val)
{
    byte red = val & 0xFF000000;
    byte green = val & 0x00FF0000;
    byte blue = val & 0x0000FF00;
    byte alpha = val & 0x000000FF;
    return new Pixel(red, green, blue, alpha);
}

public struct Pixel
{
    public byte Red;
    public byte Green;
    public byte Blue;
    public byte Alpha;
    public Pixel(byte red, byte green, byte blue, byte alpha)
    {
        this.Red = red;
        this.Green = green;
        this.Blue = blue;
        this.Alpha = alpha;
    }
}
If you need more help, remember the IRC & google are your friend.

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Oh, woops, sorry :P I just wrote that code from scratch so :P

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:21 PM
blah38621 wrote:

Thanks for the help everyone. Ok so let me go into further detail. 

From my tests, reading from the memory and writting to it is instant.

If I add a from int to hex conversion it isn't,. So thats the problem. But here is why I do that,

When I read from the memory of the screen it comes in as a int. like: 164739 or something, not hex just a big number.

If you convert a number like that to hex you can get: 00FF00, that is the color values, but you cant extract them from a number abouve. Only in hex.

So in order to get the red green and blue out of a given color and then take the red green and blue back to a number I must do the following steps.

Step1 read from the memory of the screen.

Step2 convert the int to hex

Step3 extract the red, green, blue from the hex and convert them to ints.

Step4 Alpha blend the red, green, blue.

Step5 Convert the red, green, blue to hex and add them into one string.

Step5 Convert the new hex to a int and and set the new pixel.

Done. It has to do this for a 100x100 rectangle which is 1000 times or more. So it can be slow. However my normal rectangle code can draw a 400x400 rectangle instantly. So the conversions are causing my speed issues. Thanks - Matt

Mar 28, 2012 at 8:13 PM
so, basically you want to extract a specific byte from a color number?
You shouldn't need int-string-int conversions for that...

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 8:21 PM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

blah38621 wrote:

Thanks for the help everyone. Ok so let me go into further detail.

If I add a from int to hex conversion it isn't,. So thats the problem. But here is why I do that,

When I read from the memory of the screen it comes in as a int. like: 164739 or something, not hex just a big number.

If you convert a number like that to hex you can get: 00FF00, that is the color values, but you cant extract them from a number abouve. Only in hex.

So in order to get the red green and blue out of a given color and then take the red green and blue back to a number I must do the following steps.

Done. It has to do this for a 100x100 rectangle which is 1000 times or more. So it can be slow. However my normal rectangle code can draw a 400x400 rectangle instantly. So the conversions are causing my speed issues. Thanks - Matt

Mar 28, 2012 at 8:35 PM
mterwoord wrote:

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 8:21 PM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

blah38621 wrote:

Yes! I need fast code that can extract the Red, Green, Blue values from a int, that I get from GetPixel on the SVGA driver.

Then I need code to take the Red, Green, Blue and put it back into a int. I can do this now, but its slow so I need a better method =). Thanks - Matt

Mar 29, 2012 at 7:59 AM
// code assumes ARGB coding:
var xIntReadFromScreen = 0x01020304;
var xAlpha = (byte)(xIntReadFromScreen >> 24);
var xRed = (byte)((xIntReadFromScreen >> 16) & 0xFF);
var xGreen = (byte)((xIntReadFromScreen >> 8) & 0xFF);
var xBlue = (byte)((xIntReadFromScreen) & 0xFF);
// do calculations here....
var xIntToWrite = (xAlpha << 24) | (xRed << 16) | (xGreen << 8) | xBlue;
?

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 9:35 PM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

mterwoord wrote:

blah38621 wrote:

Yes! I need fast code that can extract the Red, Green, Blue values from a int, that I get from GetPixel on the SVGA driver.

Then I need code to take the Red, Green, Blue and put it back into a int. I can do this now, but its slow so I need a better method =). Thanks - Matt

Mar 29, 2012 at 8:06 AM
mterwoord wrote:
?
On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 9:35 PM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

mterwoord wrote:

blah38621 wrote:

Thanks Mterwoord! Is there by any chance you can rewrite if for Red, Green, Blue only for Read and Write? I only need the Red, Green, Blue values, then alpha is ignored. Thanks - Matt

Mar 29, 2012 at 8:27 AM
please try to understand what the code does, and then change yourself: you'll learn a lot from it.

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 9:06 AM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

mterwoord wrote:
?

mterwoord wrote:

blah38621 wrote:

Thanks Mterwoord! Is there by any chance you can rewrite if for Red, Green, Blue only for Read and Write? I only need the Red, Green, Blue values, then alpha is ignored. Thanks - Matt

Mar 29, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Yeah your right. Would you not mind explaining to me how this works? I am have never used nor seen what >> and << does. Thanks - Matt

Mar 29, 2012 at 8:30 AM
try google. it's called bitshifting

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 9:29 AM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Yeah your right. Would you not mind explaining to me how this works? I am have never used nor seen what >> and << does. Thanks - Matt

Mar 29, 2012 at 8:38 AM
mterwoord wrote:
try google. it's called bitshifting

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 9:29 AM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Thanks mterwoord! - Matt