Mono and MonoDevelop

Developer
May 15, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I think it would be a good idea to include Mono and MonoDevelop support for Cosmos. Means one less thing I have to load up my windows for. 

Coordinator
May 15, 2012 at 11:42 AM
It's an interesting thing, which we certainly have planned, but it takes quite a bit resources to support two platforms (all plugs need to be revised, complete debugger needs reworked, and maintenance of both platforms), so it's a longer-term thing...

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Cman332 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I think it would be a good idea to include Mono and MonoDevelop support for Cosmos. Means one less thing I have to load up my windows for.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

May 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Edited May 15, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Yes very good idea

Developer
May 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Edited May 15, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Well, I couldn't find any documentation on creating a MonoDevelop plugin, so we might be a bit stuck with the debugger there.

If someone could show me how to get VS 2010 running on Wine, then I'll be very happy!

@SharkCyan - Wrong topic. Try making your own

Coordinator
May 15, 2012 at 11:49 AM
SharkCyan: please dont hijack discussions with completely irrelevant questions..

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 1:46 PM, SharkCyan <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

in the latest version of cosmos, what are the debooting commands?

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
May 15, 2012 at 11:49 AM
besides the "how" of the whole thing, it's a tremendous amount of work. we dont have resources (= people investing time in the project) to do that..

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 1:46 PM, CMan332 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Well, I couldn't find any documentation on creating a MonoDevelop plugin, so we might be a bit stuck with the debugger there.

If someone could show me how to get VS 2010 running on Wine, then I'll be very happy!

May 15, 2012 at 11:57 AM

i think this may help : http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=892

May 15, 2012 at 11:58 AM
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=20359 this may also help
CMan332 wrote:

Coordinator
May 15, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Cman: have you tried virtualization for running windows?

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM, SharkCyan <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=20359 this may also help
CMan332 wrote:

May 15, 2012 at 12:01 PM
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg487522.aspx

mterwoord wrote:
Cman: have you tried virtualization for running windows?

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM, SharkCyan <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=20359 this may also help
CMan332 wrote:

Developer
May 16, 2012 at 7:52 AM

@mterwood - Not yet, I haven't got a spare copy to try with. Only a version installed on my laptop

Developer
May 16, 2012 at 12:38 PM

VS2010 probably won't run under WINE, as the only part of VS2005 that is able to run under WINE is the C/C++ compiler. (not sure if the version from VS2010 works in WINE) This is due to the tight tie-in of Visual Studio to the .Net framework and Windows. Also, if it does run, the docking would have serious speed issues, because on X11 & OSX, there is no fast way of getting the exact position of the mouse on the screen while drawing. (thus why WeifenLu (is that spelled right?) hasn't been modified to work on Linux or OSX) Visual Studio also relies heavily on the WPF framework, a significant portion of which is native code, and that makes it much harder to port to another OS, which is why the Mono support of WPF is very limited.

Developer
May 16, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Would it be more practical to port our compilers and use equivalent tool sets? Most Linux users are proficient enough with a terminal to know what to do.

Send from my Toaster

Coordinator
May 16, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Eh? you mean port IL2CPU, all of our plugs, and the complete debugger?

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 2:49 PM, joshbeitler <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Would it be more practical to port our compilers and use equivalent tool sets? Most Linux users are proficient enough with a terminal to know what to do.

Send from my Toaster

Developer
May 16, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Well, ILCPU, but not necessarily the debugger

Send from my Toaster

On May 16, 2012 6:53 AM, "mterwoord" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 2:49 PM, joshbeitler <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Send from my Toaster

Coordinator
May 16, 2012 at 12:58 PM
why not? means we'd have just part of the project available on linux. But still, lots of work involved: il2cpu is 1, but the complete plugs need to be reviewed..

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 2:56 PM, joshbeitler <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Send from my Toaster

Send from my Toaster

Coordinator
May 16, 2012 at 1:13 PM
that complete review will take a lot of work.
On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Matthijs ter Woord <matthijsterwoord@gmail.com> wrote:
why not? means we'd have just part of the project available on linux. But still, lots of work involved: il2cpu is 1, but the complete plugs need to be reviewed..

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 2:56 PM, joshbeitler <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Send from my Toaster

Send from my Toaster

Developer
May 16, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Of course, but it is a more plausible undertaking than full mono develop integration.

Send from my Toaster

Coordinator
May 16, 2012 at 4:23 PM
On 5/16/2012 8:49 AM, joshbeitler wrote:
> Would it be more practical to port our compilers and use equivalent tool
> sets? Most Linux users are proficient enough with a terminal to know
> what to do.

Still a lot of work...