May 28, 2012 at 9:32 PM
On 5/28/2012 4:29 PM, gero wrote:
> CodePlex offers git for some time now. Is there any chance that cosmos
> will switch?

No because unlike SVN, last I checked its exclusive. That is it disables
TFS.. which many of us use.
Jul 4, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Hello,

You can use git-svn like the following, I had to put `--trunk=/` to get it to work as it has not got a single trunk folder.. Nor a dedicated branches/tags folder. I also use -r and fetch only the latest stuff upto the HEAD revision as its unlikely one would need to roll back that far locally.

git svn clone -r 93000:HEAD https://cosmos.svn.codeplex.com/svn --trunk=/ cosmos

Hope it helps,
SkAzZ

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:16 PM
Why would you want to use git?

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM, SkAzZ <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hello,

You can use git-svn like the following, I had to put `--trunk=/` to get it to work as it has not got a single trunk folder.. Nor a dedicated branches/tags folder. I also use -r and fetch only the latest stuff upto the HEAD revision as its unlikely one would need to roll back that far locally.

git svn clone -r 93000:HEAD https://cosmos.svn.codeplex.com/svn --trunk=/ cosmos

Hope it helps,
SkAzZ

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I don't git why we would use git if we already have team foundation. (Or whatever its called ;)

On Jul 4, 2012 12:17 PM, "mterwoord" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Why would you want to use git?

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM, SkAzZ <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hello,

You can use git-svn like the following, I had to put `--trunk=/` to get it to work as it has not got a single trunk folder.. Nor a dedicated branches/tags folder. I also use -r and fetch only the latest stuff upto the HEAD revision as its unlikely one would need to roll back that far locally.

Hope it helps,
SkAzZ

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:38 PM
On 7/4/2012 8:18 AM, joshbeitler wrote:
> I don't git why we would use git if we already have team foundation. (Or
> whatever its called ;)

People have different prefs. But we vote based on checkin, and according
to the last year or so, I have 99.99% of the vote....

ie Im the one thats using the VCS... so I vote TFS. :)
Jul 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM

:)

On Jul 4, 2012 12:39 PM, "kudzu" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

On 7/4/2012 8:18 AM, joshbeitler wrote:
> I don't git why we would use git if we already have team foundation. (Or
> whatever its called ;)

People have different prefs. But we vote based on checkin, and according
to the last year or so, I have 99.99% of the vote....

ie Im the one thats using the VCS... so I vote TFS. :)

Jul 4, 2012 at 2:07 PM

The reasons I use git is:

• I only use the Source Control/Branching VCS and GIT is more lightweight and flexible for it.
  • I do not use TFS (SCM) features like Virtual Test Labs/Standards checking/Project Management/Architecture Diagrams/Issue Tracking/Reporting/Server-Side-Compiling/Life-cycle management.
  • It also allows me to have local branches shared between my Desktop and Laptop without needing to commit incomplete code to the project.
  • 90% my other projects use GIT, including Mono. Ones that don't I just use a git connector.

Plus that reply was a response to a query, instead of just saying `no you can't do that you git`. =P
Jul 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM
I know it was an answer to a question, but made me curious..

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 3:07 PM, SkAzZ <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

The reasons I use git is:

• I only use the Source Control/Branching VCS and GIT is more lightweight and flexible for it.
  • I do not use TFS (SCM) features like Virtual Test Labs/Standards checking/Project Management/Architecture Diagrams/Issue Tracking/Reporting/Server-Side-Compiling/Life-cycle management.
  • It also allows me to have local branches shared between my Desktop and Laptop without needing to commit incomplete code to the project.
  • 90% my other projects use GIT, including Mono. Ones that don't I just use a git connector.

Plus that reply was a response to a query, instead of just saying `no you can't do that you git`. =P

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I for one wouldn't mind using git.

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:08 PM
Using git means doing a lot more merging which sucks..

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 4:05 PM, joshbeitler <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I for one wouldn't mind using git.

Jul 7, 2013 at 9:41 PM
Edited Jul 7, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Git is actually designed to make merging fast and efficient.

I use git-tf when I need to connect to a TFS repo as I primarily use git for all of my other development.

Git-TF

In fact I maintain a clone of COSMOS on GitHub.

GitHub - KebinuChiousu/COSMOS
Jul 7, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Vs (starting with 2012 and update and some extra add on) let's you use git. That's correct. Theres still CodePlex support and migration. Besides that is the fact we need more people contributing on core and important parts of cosmos...
Making a great idea reality means putting some effort in things, while not all jobs are fun to do or easy to do. (Believe me on that one........)

Right now this isn't up for debate. Once, we have some active contributors we could bring this topic up for discussion but discussing changing things just because users find it better is pointless....

Op 7 jul. 2013 22:41 schreef "KebinuChiousu" <[email removed]> het volgende:

I use git-tfs when I need to connect to a TFS repo as I primarily use git for all of my other development. It's also supported by Microsoft.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email ([email removed])

To start a new discussion for this project, email [email removed]

Jul 7, 2013 at 9:51 PM
mterwood,

I agree completly. As I am still learning the code in cosmos I prefer not to commit to the main repo. Hence why I use git-tf to pull down all TFS tags and upstream info.

r/s,

Kevin M. Meredith

On 7/7/2013 1:48 PM, mterwoord wrote:

Vs (starting with 2012 and update and some extra add on) let's you use git. That's correct. Theres still CodePlex support and migration. Besides that is the fact we need more people contributing on core and important parts of cosmos...
Making a great idea reality means putting some effort in things, while not all jobs are fun to do or easy to do. (Believe me on that one........)

Right now this isn't up for debate. Once, we have some active contributors we could bring this topic up for discussion but discussing changing things just because users find it better is pointless....

Op 7 jul. 2013 22:41 schreef "KebinuChiousu" <[email removed]> het volgende:

I use git-tfs when I need to connect to a TFS repo as I primarily use git for all of my other development. It's also supported by Microsoft.

Jul 8, 2013 at 7:15 AM
We are completely fine with new people starting to commit to the main repository. We ask new people to show some commitment, and then they can join the main repository (and yes, that theoretically allows them to goof everything up). We then ask them to only commit after we verified they dont do "stupid" things (which is understandable in the beginning). We also teach them how to use tfs correctly, for doing selective checkins...
Kevin: would you be interested in joining? (We need some work done on SQLite support, which even has a bounty on it, and after that VS2012 support is on the list)

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:11 PM
mterwood,

I have worked with SQLite in the path and would be willing to give it a shot. I believe I already have commit access to COSMOS. I have been following the project since the old website was around

Kevin

On 7/7/2013 11:15 PM, mterwoord wrote:

We are completely fine with new people starting to commit to the main repository. We ask new people to show some commitment, and then they can join the main repository (and yes, that theoretically allows them to goof everything up). We then ask them to only commit after we verified they dont do "stupid" things (which is understandable in the beginning). We also teach them how to use tfs correctly, for doing selective checkins...
Kevin: would you be interested in joining? (We need some work done on SQLite support, which even has a bounty on it, and after that VS2012 support is on the list)

Jul 8, 2013 at 9:38 PM

OK are you on the devlist?

Op 8 jul. 2013 21:11 schreef "KebinuChiousu" <[email removed]> het volgende:

mterwood,

I have worked with SQLite in the path and would be willing to give it a shot. I believe I already have commit access to COSMOS. I have been following the project since the old website was around

Kevin

Jul 8, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Yes.

I'll need to study up on the internal of Visual Studio. I have VS2010 Ult installed.

On 7/8/2013 1:38 PM, mterwoord wrote:

mterwood,

Kevin

Jul 8, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Large internals of vs are not (yet) needed. First join devlist and sync up to latest devkit. The try to build a simple kernel and start from there. I'll try to be online tomorrow during business hours (Netherlands based.....)

Op 8 jul. 2013 23:13 schreef "KebinuChiousu" <[email removed]> het volgende:

Yes.

I'll need to study up on the internal of Visual Studio. I have VS2010 Ult installed.

mterwood,

Kevin

Jul 8, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Sounds good. I'll have some time tomorrow evening. I am at work during the day. I am on PST in the US (California)

On 7/8/2013 2:34 PM, mterwoord wrote:

Large internals of vs are not (yet) needed. First join devlist and sync up to latest devkit. The try to build a simple kernel and start from there. I'll try to be online tomorrow during business hours (Netherlands based.....)

Op 8 jul. 2013 23:13 schreef "KebinuChiousu" <[email removed]> het volgende:

Yes.

mterwood,

Kevin

Sep 20, 2014 at 7:56 PM
So... git? I've used both git and TFS at work and git is just so much better.