More GUI help is needed

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:06 PM
Well you guys have helped me out greatly in the past two days considering that I have a working GUI. Now what I want to do is add icons a start menu, a terminal application. Any pointers, codes ect on how I can do this? Btw I try to keep myself between Milestone 3 and 5 because they're much alike, and I prefer the original. I'm running M3 at the moment. So please if anyone can help, it's much appreciated, if this is needed I am using VGAscreen for my GUI. I've used drawMenu and drawRectangle for my task bar. Some parts I don't understand at all, which would be the parts the I grabbed from another open source in order to put it in full affect. So please give some more help for a newbie. Thank you.
Coordinator
Jun 4, 2012 at 7:04 AM
Why not go with later releases? both MS3 and MS5 are ancient, and you wont get any updates on them. Have you tried latest release?

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 1:06 AM, tjwehler <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Well you guys have helped me out greatly in the past two days considering that I have a working GUI. Now what I want to do is add icons a start menu, a terminal application. Any pointers, codes ect on how I can do this? Btw I try to keep myself between Milestone 3 and 5 because they're much alike, and I prefer the original. I'm running M3 at the moment. So please if anyone can help, it's much appreciated, if this is needed I am using VGAscreen for my GUI. I've used drawMenu and drawRectangle for my task bar. Some parts I don't understand at all, which would be the parts the I grabbed from another open source in order to put it in full affect. So please give some more help for a newbie. Thank you.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jun 4, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Yes, I honestly don't like the new release. I don't like that I have to get a specific type of 2010 C#. I like 2008.

Jun 4, 2012 at 5:47 PM

It's also the whole point that MS4 is the last stable build that was ever given out... Next stable one, I will use.

Jun 4, 2012 at 6:15 PM
Tjwehler wrote:

It's also the whole point that MS4 is the last stable build that was ever given out... Next stable one, I will use.

Personally, if I was you. I would get the current source code. Its worth it. Because I will tell you this, in MS4. You will never get a advanced GUI. I found that out and quickly jumped to the new release. The new release, in my opinion is way better and more stable than MS4.

And when I mean new release, I am talking about the current source code.

But if you do want some gui examples, or possible help. You might want to check this out, www.pearos.codeplex.com

The project is still alive, I am just taking a break for a little while. I get burned out quickly =). Hope it helps - Matt 

Jun 4, 2012 at 9:43 PM

But I still want to use VGAScreen, but When I tried it with the new release VGAScreen didn't work for me. 

Jun 5, 2012 at 5:58 AM
Tjwehler wrote:

But I still want to use VGAScreen, but When I tried it with the new release VGAScreen didn't work for me. 

You still can, in live boots VGA and VMWare SVGA, doesn't work. The reason why is because the kernel hangs before any other code can execute. Its a glitch in the FAT implementation. But you can use it in VMWare. Take a look at: pearos.codeplex.com trust me, you dont really want to use the VGA, I hate it because of its low res and the fact you have to set all the colors, however I believe orvid, has a function that does this for you... Hope it helps - Matt

Developer
Jun 8, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Really, this is the wrong place to ask about how to fashion your own GUI. You need to be proficient in C# and Graphics before you start programming a Graphical "Shell" over the Cosmos Kernel.