Getting Kernel Done

Topics: Compiler, Developing Cosmos (Working on Cosmos source code directly), Other, Using Cosmos (Developing your own OS, projects, etc), X#
Developer
Jul 15, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Hi

I think it about time to move on from doing X# and bug fix in the compiler. 

bug fixing the compiler and making debugging tool with be a non-ending job. 

Then aim to the Kernel core done so that it would allow people to start building OS that could work in the long term. 

I mean by Kernel core is thing like (e.g. Memory Management, garbage collection, process/threads, message passing system). Also it be good to have a way to pick and choose with Memory Management, garbage collection, process and threads scheduling to be used. 

I have start on some of then and the class for then are in the source code but not showing up in Visual studio.

Without this core thing people will have a hard time make any OS that reliable and to be able do anything usefully !!

The other function like network and more graphical and hard drive are should be done ones the core function are made as they not need right now. 

Developer
Jul 15, 2012 at 12:41 PM

The problem is we need to fix the bugs in the compiler, and work on the compiler, to get the things you listed.

Developer
Jul 15, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I do see that the bugs need to be fix in the compiler but they going to be allows bugs in the compiler. It going to end up in a loop that will not end and then nether get done a bit like what happen to Duke Nukem Forever. 

We need to say that the compiler is ok how it is now and more on to the kernel core then come back to the compiler later on. Or move some or most of the people  that working on compiler on to kernel core. That wall the compiler get fix but other thing like the kernel core can be done as wall. 

Developer
Jul 16, 2012 at 1:00 AM

I think we'd need to modify the compiler to get memory management

Coordinator
Jul 16, 2012 at 9:25 PM
On 7/16/2012 5:21 PM, A51UK wrote:
> I think it about time to move on from doing X# and bug fix in the compiler.

X# was necessary to fix the compiler bugs because DebugStub was too
complicated to do otherwise.

X# is done now and Im back on ASM stepping. But the real issue is -
right now Im doing 99% of the work - so until others start doing work,
I'm going to continue to set the priorities since I'm the one who ends
up doing them.....

There are 16 available tasks here:
http://cosmos.codeplex.com/workitem/list/advanced?Status=Active

> bug fixing the compiler and making debugging tool with be a non-ending job.
>
> Then aim to the Kernel core done so that it would allow people to start
> building OS that could work in the long term.

Wasting your time working around blocking issues in the compiler will
get you nowhere, and its where many projects die. They are too eager to
get to the "fun stuff" without doing the necessary stuff.
Coordinator
Jul 16, 2012 at 9:26 PM
On 7/16/2012 5:25 PM, a51uk wrote:
> We need to say that the compiler is ok how it is now and more on to the

But it isnt ok now... go ahead and try to even finish ATA/IDE support
and you'll see...
Coordinator
Jul 17, 2012 at 7:05 AM
fully agree: it's like a car: if you somehow have a flat tire, you can still continue driving with some workarounds. it'll get you to your destination, but it's by far not optimal. better spend time on fixing the tire, and get going full speed..

Honestly: If we'd have had the ASM level debugging support working at the point we did the compiler, we would have been able to be much more productive....

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 12:06 AM, kudzu <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

On 7/16/2012 5:25 PM, a51uk wrote:
> We need to say that the compiler is ok how it is now and more on to the

But it isnt ok now... go ahead and try to even finish ATA/IDE support
and you'll see...

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com