This project is read-only.

Cosmos Menu

Topics: Other, Using Cosmos (Developing your own OS, projects, etc)
Sep 28, 2012 at 6:59 PM
Edited Sep 28, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a project with a netduino board and I ran into a small issue. The netduino has a hard time controlling large screens, almost all the screens that I have seen are below four inches. Plus the screens will use most of my pin outs, so now I look to cosmos. I am hoping that cosmos will be able to do the GUI that I want for my project. I just need to display a couple of images as a background, and display text above them that the user can scroll up and down through. Something like this is what I have in mind: #mce_temp_url#. I have done some research and I see a lot of people talking about using the pear os drivers. Is that the best way to write my images out to the screen?

Thanks, Mike

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Well your talking to the right person. I write the PearOs Drivers. Their mainly either from scratch or improved ones from existing drives. Your welcome to use mine, to do that. Although are you running Cosmos on the Arduino? Or something? Just wondering how this all ties in. Or are you actually wanting to write a OS for x86 using a Monitor? Thanks - Matt

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:08 PM

No no ill be running cosmos on a small shuttle xpc or something, then sending the command to the netduino via ethernet port. :)

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM
MichaelQuint wrote:

No no ill be running cosmos on a small shuttle xpc or something, then sending the command to the netduino via ethernet port. :)

Oh ok. Well your welcome to use them. If you need any of my new ones, like the Highres VGA Driver, Your welcome to it. - Matt

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Yeah definitely, thanks Matt! Ill probably have plenty of questions for you too ;)

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:18 PM
MichaelQuint wrote:

Yeah definitely, thanks Matt! Ill probably have plenty of questions for you too ;)

Your very welcome. Good I love questions. =) I'll reply to this in a minute with a link to the newest source of the High Res VGA Driver. I found a odd bug though I don't know if its a Cosmos one, or what but my 640x480 SetPixel function stopped working. However it works for the 720x480, which I guess all in all you could just use that one vs the 640x480. But it might be a VMWare bug, I don't know yet. That's kind of why I'm trying to get a newer Version of the Cosmos runtime at the moment, so I can test this, but also make the OS boot on live hardware so I can test a few things. - Matt

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Quick question, can cosmos read and write to a flash drive?

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:59 PM

I don't believe so. - Matt

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:03 PM

But it does have a file system now though right?

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:09 PM

No. Well it does have FAT32, but its buggy and not working at the moment. However I wrote my own Filesystem Protocol. And it works. I can read/write files with ease. Your welcome to use that, but its in PearOs3, which isn't open source at the moment. So if you want it, I will have to email you the code or something. - Matt

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Yeah I planned on having the images on a flash drive and them load them with cosmos, how hard would it be to just use your os and customize it to what im looking for?

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Um it wouldn't be too hard. But this Filesystem code, of mine doesn't support a Flash Drive. It will only read/write to a hard drive. But you could just put the images in the code itself. I do that quite often. And that's usually the best approach. - Matt

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Your driver only supports 16 bit colors as of now?

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Yes.

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:31 PM

darn thats kinda a bummer.

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:35 PM
MichaelQuint wrote:

Why? I mean, its kind of a Pain but I don't know or have any VGA Settings for a higher res with 32bit color or 256. - Matt

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Exactly. +1 Matt. The only other working VGA setting is 8-bit.

On Sep 28, 2012 4:35 PM, "civilwarrock" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

MichaelQuint wrote:

Why? I mean, its kind of a Pain but I don't know or have any VGA Settings for a higher res with 32bit color or 256. - Matt

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:42 PM
DelfinoIsland wrote:

MichaelQuint wrote:

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Thanks, by any chance Delfino, do you have a installer for the Current Cosmos source that I can have? Thanks - Matt

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:47 PM

No problem. Unfortunately, no I do not have the installer. I too cannot build the dev kit, because I have VS Express. Express doesn't allow you to build the dev kit :(

On Sep 28, 2012 4:43 PM, "civilwarrock" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

DelfinoIsland wrote:

MichaelQuint wrote:

Thanks, by any chance Delfino, do you have a installer for the Current Cosmos source that I can have? Thanks - Matt

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Edited Sep 28, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I have the real deal maybe I could build it for you? And I was just hoping to display nice looking images.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Matt got it finally so its okay.

On Sep 28, 2012 5:26 PM, "MichaelQuint" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I have the real deal maybe I could build it for you?

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:50 PM
MichaelQuint wrote:

I have the real deal maybe I could build it for you? And I was just hoping to display nice looking images.

Please do. Cause mine built, but its having some issues I guess. So if you can build me a installer for the current source, that would be great! Thanks - Matt

Sep 29, 2012 at 7:04 PM
Edited Sep 29, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Hey Matt,

where do I go to download your drivers at?

Thanks, Mike