This project is read-only.

Boot from USB flash drive

Topics: Installation
Mar 4, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Hey,

I have got a working COSMOS Project running fine in VMWare Player (Debug + Release mode). Now I would like to boot that program using an USB flash drive. I read this would be possible by changing the target evironment to "USB Bootable Device" in the COSMOS Kernel settings. Unfortunately, when I do this, I get an error saying, that "This type is temporarily unsupported".

Do you have any ideas on how to fix that? Does this only happen in the User Kit release? Are there any other workarounds to get an bootable USB flash drive?

Best regards
Alex
Mar 4, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Download SysLinux and install it to your flashdrive. Then copy the code from the config in your %appdata%\Cosmos User Kit\Build\ISO into syslinux.cfg and copy the mboot module along with the output.bin
Mar 5, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Thanks for your quick response.

I followed your instructions. Syslinux is now booting. Unfortunately it prints out an error saying "Loading output.bin... failed!".
I'm using syslinux version 3.62 (the version that was included in COSMOS).

Do you know this error?

Best regards
Alex
Mar 6, 2013 at 2:57 AM
Hmm maybe is the bootstrap, I don't know what version would be compatible with the latest release, ask one of the devs
Mar 6, 2013 at 7:12 AM
alxppp: have you grabbed the files from an ISO?

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 3:57 AM, GruntXProductions <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hmm maybe is the bootstrap, I don't know what version would be compatible with the latest release, ask one of the devs

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Yes, the files are from an ISO generated in Release mode.
Mar 6, 2013 at 8:30 AM
hmm, weird..

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 9:29 AM, alxppp <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Yes, the files are from an ISO generated in Release mode.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:33 AM
But I have tried both ISO files and the files directely generated by COSMOS (those from the Cosmos User Kit/Build/ISO folder).
Mar 6, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Thanks for your help. Switched now to DevKit, the USB ISO generation is working there.

Best regards,
Alex