This project is read-only.

Booting from a USB

Topics: Other
May 29, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Hi, I'm new to Cosmos and am very impressed with it so far! I've built a basic program in C# 2010 Express, linked it to VS Shell 2010 and runs sweet in VMWare.
What I did then was Extract the .iso from the projects folder onto a USB, plugged it into a Net-book (Pendo U1000 - currently without a hard-drive) and powered up - getting the message;

BOOTMGR not found!
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to Restart

Without out the USB plugged in the net-book I get something like this;

Insert proper boot device and restart.

Now, I'm totally unsure of the correct process here, so...

...am I putting the .iso on correctly?
...do I have to edit anything in the BIOS Settings? (I've looked in the boot section - nothing about selecting a boot device)
...does it simply need a hard-drive rather than USB?

Thanks.
May 29, 2013 at 10:35 AM
BOOTMGR not found means it boots from USB.

you need to install syslinux on the usb drive..

May 29, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.

I've downloaded syslinux-5.01.zip and extracted it, but I can't for the life of me figure out how I'm meant to install it onto the USB... searched Goggle, tried running syslinux64.exe via command prompt with no success...
May 29, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Well, Follow the following steps to install syslinux

STEP 0: Your motherboard (BIOS) has to support boot from usb (usb-key or usb-hdd). You don't need to know which of these types your media is though, your BIOS recognizes the usb controller in the device, and this determines usb-key or usb-hdd type.
In case your motherboard does not support booting from usb, the PLoP Boot Manager might be a solution.
STEP 1: Download the latest copy of syslinux and extract it.
STEP 2: Open a command prompt and cd to your 'syslinux\win32' folder. Run syslinux.exe -m -a X: replacing X with the drive letter of your media. This will install suitable MBR code into your flash drive and mark the partition on it as active.
STEP 3: Copy a Linux kernel image (like vmlinuz) to the root (X:) of your media.
STEP 4: Lastly, create a 'syslinux.cfg' file in the root of your media (X:) and
enter any configuration options you need/want.

Regards
Aman Priyadarshi
May 30, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Thanks for that. I'll give it a go.