How to implement GUI in COSMOS

Topics: Using Cosmos (Developing your own OS, projects, etc)
Jan 27, 2014 at 11:45 AM
i need to write a program like notepad in cosmos can any one tell me how to do it using GUI
Jan 30, 2014 at 7:58 AM
Edited Jan 30, 2014 at 7:59 AM
Notepad? Do we even have proper disk and FS Drivers? Your best bet is to stick with the 80x25 console mode, and use
GLNFS Driver provided by GruntyOS, also a GUI is a kind of structure, for example under a struc WINDOW there are
elements like button, textbox, header, etc. Also to use the GUI you need to use VGA Graphics Mode (Mode 0x12 or Mode 0x13), or VBE (VESA BIOS Extensions, No idea how to use them in Cosmos), As for VGA it sucks 320x200x256 screens look ugly the maximum resolution that VGA can achieve is 640x480x2, VBE 3.0 Protected Interface (which seems to be the only VBE version that can
be integrated into Cosmos) is not available on most computers.
The third way is called the best but the most difficult path, writing "native drivers", in which you have to yourself study the video
card since there is no open documentation of most cards, and write the code.
Believe me, Cosmos is not easy, It's just an extension to C# which helps programmers write native code, writing a notepad under
plain C# is easy, but under Cosmos is possibly the one of the toughest things todo.