This project is read-only.

Can't boot Cosmos on real hardware

Topics: Using Cosmos (Developing your own OS, projects, etc)
Jul 13, 2014 at 12:38 PM
Hello,

I downloaded the lastest stable Cosmo release and tryied to build my first OS.
In VMplayer the OS works (debugging and release ISO), but if I try to boot the OS on real hardware, I only get the Syslinux message at the beginning and after that just a black screen and the CD-Drive stops doing anything.
I tryied this on four PCs. Three times I get the black screen. One time I only get the message "Exception Occurred While Running Kernel, Exception: ATA Error".
After that I just used the code that cosmos generates on project creating - the same error.
If I use the ISO file that is generated by debugging (for VMplayer) and burn that to a CD, I get the message "Waiting for debugger connection...".
I don't know what goes wrong. Please help.

Thanks!
Jul 13, 2014 at 2:54 PM
Right now, we're focussing on VMware. All the different kinds of hardware make it impossible for us to track them all.
If you're interested in getting Cosmos going on your hardware, you're welcome to join development of Cosmos.

That being said, we've fixed one serious bug in the compiler since the latest release, and are working on another serious one. Once we get that going, we hope to do a new release again..

2014-07-13 7:39 GMT-04:00 nilsw <[email removed]>:

Hello,

I downloaded the lastest stable Cosmo release and tryied to build my first OS.
In VMplayer the OS works (debugging and release ISO), but if I try to boot the OS on real hardware, I only get the Syslinux message at the beginning and after that just a black screen and the CD-Drive stops doing anything.
I tryied this on four PCs. Three times I get the black screen. One time I only get the message "Exception Occurred While Running Kernel, Exception: ATA Error".
After that I just used the code that cosmos generates on project creating - the same error.
If I use the ISO file that is generated by debugging (for VMplayer) and burn that to a CD, I get the message "Waiting for debugger connection...".
I don't know what goes wrong. Please help.

Thanks!

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email ([email removed])

To start a new discussion for this project, email [email removed]

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com