Discussions under Using Cosmos (Developing your own OS, projects, etc)

Please pick an appropriate topic for your discussion. If in doubt, pick the closest.

Freeze on "Creating ATA IOGroup" in VirtualBox

first post: ValidUsername wrote: Steps followed: 1) Install latest Cosmos OS release from Github. ...

latest post: mterwoord wrote: Yes. May have to do with SATA controllers etc... 2015-07-...

System.IO

first post: MisirianSoft wrote: I was trying to use the methods system.io.file.create(file) and sys...

latest post: mterwoord wrote: This is actually being worked on. We're close to getting FAT worki...

file system

first post: sajadbanooie wrote: im new to cosmos i want to know how i can read from file and write...

latest post: mterwoord wrote: We're working on FAT support. Once this is working, you'll be able...

install your operating system on a pc

first post: sajadbanooie wrote: i want to install my os just like windows or linux so there will be...

latest post: mterwoord wrote: If you're familiar with Linux tooling, you can use syslinux to ins...

Cosmos don't Work

first post: TheCrimulo wrote: When I create a new C# project, and touching anything, it sends me ...

latest post: mterwoord wrote: Don't have much time to dig any further now. If you're brave, you ...

---

first post: zdimension wrote: --- delete this ---

latest post: mterwoord wrote: Hmm, this work right now, as you're taking advantage of a bug in o...

answered by: zdimension wrote: --- delete this ---

Using a Ext2 File System

first post: TomFeatherhill wrote: Hello! I've been hacking the source code of COSMOS to enable the Fi...

latest post: TomFeatherhill wrote: **mterwoord wrote:** > Thanks for your interest! We're working ha...

has List<Object> been implemented?

first post: BatchOfCookies wrote: I would like to know if the "List" data-type has been implemented y...

latest post: BatchOfCookies wrote: Oh ok yah, I didn't mean to imply that the actual hardware was faul...

Compile as 16 bit OS?

first post: BatchOfCookies wrote: I have an old ibm model 30. I know this is a longshot, but is ther...

latest post: BatchOfCookies wrote: Fantastic, thank you all for your help!

ISO

first post: guido321 wrote: Is it possible to make an .iso to boot your OS to your computer/lap...

latest post: BatchOfCookies wrote: Yah. Just get a blank disk. Right click on the .iso file and select...

How to use FileSystem in Cosmos??

first post: hydarnes wrote: Hi. I'm new with Cosmos. I don't know how to use FileSystem. For ex...

latest post: mterwoord wrote: Like I described in the other question, we're close to having Syst...

How to write a filesystem

first post: AndrewFarnworth2 wrote: Hello I am using milestone 4 and I want a file system where I type ...

latest post: mterwoord wrote: This means that our own FAT implementation is currently blocked. O...

I can't test my OS on VMware or VirtualBox.

first post: Lendor wrote: Hello! I can't test my OS on VMware or VirtualBox. I can test it i...

latest post: Lendor wrote: Who is cosmos settings

How to compile in release mode?

first post: fanoI wrote: The obvious way of select "release" in the Visual Studio menu has n...

latest post: mterwoord wrote: We don't use per configuration settings. Don't change the p...

Cosmos Console Background Color

first post: ALLDESP wrote: I really don't know what the hell is the problem but when I write t...

latest post: fanoI wrote: Finally the forum works again! Yes second the Microsoft Console sp...

WebRequest and MAC address

first post: Yemto wrote: I'm completely new to Cosmos, and to C# in general, I do however ha...

latest post: mterwoord wrote: At this moment, only basic networking is implemented in the devkit...

saveing files

first post: brizinger1997 wrote: Im trying to save files on a test os that i've been creating, but I...

latest post: brizinger1997 wrote: Thank you. I cant wait to have the FAT support.

Ring System

first post: superfooblast wrote: I'm having trouble accessing hardware through the user kit is there...

latest post: mterwoord wrote: Hi Fanol, We know that the current rings system is not ye...

How to set console background?

first post: emptyarray wrote: My Code: Console.BackgroundColor = defcolor; for (...

latest post: emptyarray wrote: Console.Clear() Only the text on colored backgrounds, and not the w...

can't start a debug in vs 2013

first post: Neywiny wrote: Whenever I try to run the kernel through the debug button on VS Exp...

latest post: Neywiny wrote: As a final answer for those wondering: install vs community, then r...

answered by: Neywiny wrote: As a final answer for those wondering: install vs community, then r...

Cosmos don't work

first post: TheCrimulo wrote: It worked weeks ago, but when i make a new project and (editing or ...

latest post: TheCrimulo wrote: I installed it from GitHub (This release: https://github.com/Cosmos...

Generate random number in my OS

first post: emptyarray wrote: I want to generate random numbers for my operating system. How is t...

Cosmos Userkit 20150310 ldobj Isn't implemented

first post: SomeDev wrote: My Code: using System; using System.Collections.Generic; using Syst...

latest post: mterwoord wrote: ILCode: 20150130 is a new form of userkit releases. IN the past ...

VGAB.SetGraphicsMode(VGAScreen.ScreenSize320x200, VGAScreen.ColorDepth.BitDepth8); Fail

first post: TheCrimulo wrote: Hello, i'm trying to make a VGAScreen called VGAB, but when i try t...

VMWare not starting on Debug

first post: qwirklelol wrote: Hello, I have a problem with my Cosmos installation, when I press F...

latest post: mterwoord wrote: Startig manually means VMware installation works ok. Do yo...

Restart / Shutdown

first post: legoman519 wrote: Hello I just started using Cosmos and I have a basic console with a...

latest post: Azamaster_123 wrote: Just took a look at the code from this ACPI function and found it w...

How to update Cosmos RTC?

first post: derekktong wrote: How do you update the RTC? Specifically, change the time to somethi...

latest post: mterwoord wrote: There's no built-in possibility for that. You could join developme...

Fixed Top/Bottom Bar in Console Mode

first post: jordanfung wrote: Hi, I would like 2 know if I can place a fixed top bar or bottom b...

Handle Mouse Click in GUI mode

first post: jordanfung wrote: Hi, I would like to know how can I handle mouse click in VGA mode? ...

latest post: legoman519 wrote: I have a working clicking method but I am not home right now so I w...

Anything new about networking?

first post: JovanIvanovic wrote: Is someone developing UDP or TCP on Cosmos?

latest post: kudzu wrote: Yes but currently we are busy on other prerequisites. On 1/5/2015 1...

File I/O and networking is the same, right?

first post: emersont1 wrote: What are the differences, if any with Cosmos file io to windows fil...

SSH to cosmos Os?

first post: emersont1 wrote: Is it possible to connect to it using its default console over some...

SSH to cosmos Os?

first post: emersont1 wrote: Is it possible to connect to it using its default console over some...

Inline assembly

first post: clearosdev wrote: Has anyone thought about making the kernel be able to call assembly...

latest post: mterwoord wrote: clearosdev: Most OS devs wont need assembly. Only small parts...

How to increase the dislay screen resolution

first post: roitheninja wrote: is there a way to increase the screen resolution. i use visual stud...

latest post: AndrewFarnworth2 wrote: If you type in cosmos c# high res there is a video where some dude ...

RTC Interrupt

first post: kudzu wrote: Nothing I see offhand but many of the IRQs were disabled temporaril...

latest post: mterwoord wrote: IRQ0 should be disabled for sure. You need to be careful to make s...

Microsoft .NET Core Open Source

first post: HornerG wrote: What is the view of the team with regards to the development of Cos...

latest post: kudzu wrote: Absolutely. Or it could work in Eclipse or some other environment. ...

some questions ....

first post: mohammedf wrote: i have some questions about cosmos : 1 - i used VGAScreen.SetPix...

latest post: mohammedf wrote: i am trying to draw mouse when i draw pixels of the mouse it draw...

How to make a Calculator

first post: AndrewFarnworth2 wrote: I am using Milestone 4 and Visual c# 2008, I need to know how to ma...

latest post: MisirianSoft wrote: The code I gave is quite bugged. It's more to give you an idea on h...

ATA Error

first post: kevalking wrote: Hello I have created ISO image of my OS. By using YUMI (It's a th...

latest post: kudzu wrote: Make sure in BIOS your drives are set to legacy mode, but aside fro...

Subtract, Multiply, Divide not working, is there no plug?!

first post: patrickl27 wrote: I am trying to make a calculator as a first step to making my os, a...

latest post: Trivalik wrote: If its really to the operation please give us minimalistic code and...

Installing COSMOS OS we made on an Hard disk

first post: roitheninja wrote: can anyone tell me how can we install the OS i made in COSMOS in an...

latest post: AndrewFarnworth2 wrote: I did get a Linux installer which installed it on the C drive and c...

Cool commands for my Operating system

first post: AndrewFarnworth2 wrote: What default cosmos commands can I use for my os which would really...

Cosmos Build Error

first post: JerrodBass wrote: My error here: 1>------ Build started: Project: MiddleAge, Configu...

latest post: JerrodBass wrote: from where?

Arrow keys?

first post: brianush1 wrote: How do I use the arrow keys in Cosmos?

latest post: Ghoosteer wrote: Nevermind, have fixed it now, LOVE your code!:)

Cosmos with Lua Scripting?

first post: c0r3n30n wrote: How can i Use Lua for Cosmos ?

latest post: c0r3n30n wrote: Dosnt Work it uses some Assamblys that not work in Cosmos

Windows Research Kernel

first post: dsdude123 wrote: Would it be possible to use the Windows Research Kernel or at least...

latest post: mterwoord wrote: Most likely not. First of all the licensing will be a problem, but ...

How to use COSMOS with C++

first post: Batalvi wrote: Hi, I heard that its possible to use. Cosmos with C++ how does that...

latest post: Trivalik wrote: You can try this project http://www.file-upload.net/download-979951...

Warnings of no reason

first post: Ghoosteer wrote: Warning 4 There was a mismatch between the processor architecture o...

latest post: Ghoosteer wrote: **mterwoord wrote:** > This error usually warns you for mismatching...

answered by: mterwoord wrote: This error usually warns you for mismatching assembly platforms. Ha...

cosmos.sys not available

first post: abhayin wrote: there is problem in cosmos that it doesn't find any Cosmos.Sys libr...

Need some help

first post: Batalvi wrote: Hello I am having an issue with cosmos that I can't seen to fix. Co...

latest post: MisirianSoft wrote: He is referring to the tutorial that I wrote which can be found her...

How do I use Windows' Filesystem? (NTFS.sys)

first post: brianush1 wrote: I wanna use Windows' filesystem and I have no idea how and where to...

latest post: kudzu wrote: Look at the Cosmos ATA driver.

Things that will make COSMOS the BEST!!

first post: Batalvi wrote: If these features are added to cosmos, it will highly increase it h...

latest post: Batalvi wrote: Ok, well these are just some suggestions for the future :)

Remote Debugging

first post: kevalking wrote: Hello .. Where is the option "Enable Remote Debugging" in VS 2010...

latest post: Trivalik wrote: This is in VS 2013, maybe it helps ![Image](http://s14.directuploa...

Cosmos Won't boot on virtual machine

first post: Batalvi wrote: I just tried out cosmos for the very first time, after clicking sta...

latest post: Batalvi wrote: I did that, no avail. What if i code the as a console application, ...

answered by: mterwoord wrote: Right-click ZOSBoot.cosmos inside VS solution explorer and click p...

Get contents of a floppy disk

first post: brianush1 wrote: How do I get the contents of a floppy disk in COSMOS?

latest post: forest201 wrote: @brianush1... its a filesystem for CD-R/W discs hence CDFS -> http...

Drawing circles?

first post: brianush1 wrote: How do I draw circles on VGAScreen?

latest post: kudzu wrote: Pi, sine, and cosine.

How to do a echo function on command line?

first post: AndrewFarnworth2 wrote: I want to make a echo function that works like cmd, For example you...

latest post: MisirianSoft wrote: Look at the file echo.cs on JacOS.codeplex.con. I used to have it l...

Using internet in COSMOS?

first post: brianush1 wrote: I wanna make an operating system that can connect to the internet i...

latest post: AndrewFarnworth2 wrote: Which milestone are you using as there are more drivers in later ve...

Cosmos Devkit Install Error

first post: CosmosMaker wrote: I can't install devkit. I'm getting this error: file or directory ...

latest post: AndrewFarnworth2 wrote: How's it even possible to get that many warnings!!!! Maybe you nee...

USB Uhci Hid support (USB Mouse)

first post: forest201 wrote: Does anybody know the correct way of initialising the USB mouse and...

How to do a working command line

first post: AndrewFarnworth2 wrote: Hi i can make a command console in cosmos where i can type in comma...

latest post: AndrewFarnworth2 wrote: Anyway the code you posted worked so thanks for the help! ( :

Hello i need some help with ram and x#

first post: FuseTheCoder wrote: Hello i need some help with ram mainly how to set a value in it and...

latest post: FuseTheCoder wrote: O cool this will make things a shit load easy thx.

VGAScreent.SetTextMode Change Default Font

first post: einuorg wrote: Okay, so I got the font I want to use into an byte array, but what ...

Introducing the NCA: The New COSMOS Alliance

first post: MisirianSoft wrote: After a few days of deliberating, Quantox, Stevenator, and Misirian...

latest post: MisirianSoft wrote: Cosmosusers.x10.bz was replaced with gruntxproductions.net/NCA whic...

Error with including DLL

first post: MisirianSoft wrote: So I have been working on a new project recently called JacoLib, wh...

latest post: VeryCrushed wrote: Changeset #108574 fixed this, we used to be able to do this except ...

Current state and moving forward

first post: mterwoord wrote: When seeing the amount of discussions on codeplex and yahoo, there'...

latest post: kudzu wrote: Matthijs did significant amounts of work on this though in July. On...

Core Multithread Async Await

first post: HornerG wrote: I'm new to this project and love the idea of an operating system th...

latest post: mterwoord wrote: You must have been looking at the wrong sources.... See fo...

gtk#?

first post: emersont1 wrote: Can you use gtk# with this, if so how?

latest post: MisirianSoft wrote: To the best of my knowledge you cannot. If you are interested in ma...

Problem using Visual Studio Ultimate 2013

first post: yhtomit wrote: I installed both the latest versions of the VIX API and VMWare Play...

latest post: mterwoord wrote: After installing devkit using install.bat, and opening Cosmos.sln,...

COSMOS Tutorial Video

first post: MisirianSoft wrote: Hey guys I just uploaded a video tutorial to YouTube that I think w...

latest post: Batalvi wrote: ok ok, no nca. But why can't you use a mic it's really annoying to...

Int0x10, a better programming forum for OS devs alike

first post: MisirianSoft wrote: As one observes the COSMOS community they begin to realize that mos...

latest post: Batalvi wrote: I know it has been lagging a little lately but if you give like 30s...

Build error!

first post: mart225 wrote: Hi everyone I am new in this community, and as noob I have some pro...

latest post: MisirianSoft wrote: When something is not "plugged" it cannot be used in COSMOS. Pe...

A Simple COSMOS Tutorial

first post: MisirianSoft wrote: So over the past three days I have been working on a tutorial to CO...

latest post: MisirianSoft wrote: A couple of things. You do not need permission to use ANY of the co...

Sending value of a string

first post: Alema416 wrote: Hello, How can I send the value of a string from Kernel.cs to an...

latest post: Trivalik wrote: I guess you are new to the world of programming. Short answer: you ...

File\Directory Exists

first post: Alema416 wrote: Hello, Can I check if a file\directory exists in Cosmos?

latest post: Trivalik wrote: It is possible with some registry tricks to install SDK and then to...

Installing Programs

first post: parabolah wrote: So far, as I've seen. I've found no way to install programs from th...

latest post: ALLDESP wrote: It's not and will never be. Applications require the Windows runtim...

Cosmos Debug Error

first post: Alema416 wrote: I created a new COSMOS OS in Visual Studio 2013. I debugged it with...

latest post: Alema416 wrote: I removed System.Threading.Thread.Sleep and I replaced .Equals wi...

Cosmos Error: Built Canceled

first post: Alema416 wrote: Hello, I installed Visual Studio Express 2013 and Cosmos User Kit...

latest post: Alema416 wrote: It is working! Thank you very much for the quick response.

Sockets

first post: mrinc wrote: Hey guys. Just wanted to know. How are TCP/UDP Sockets looking ...

latest post: mterwoord wrote: We have TCP/UDP planned, but due to limited resources, other tasks...

Projects that use COSMOS

first post: MisirianSoft wrote: Could you add JacOS (JacOS.codeplex.com) to the list of projects th...

Blackscreen on Pheonix BIOS PCs (Solved)

first post: forest201 wrote: After debugging Cosmos on Real hardware i found that the black scre...

latest post: mterwoord wrote: We are working on changing how Cosmos loads its stuff. You should ...

HMI does not 'work' with VGAScreens, Heap issues.

first post: SethiXzon wrote: I am using the Heap Memory Interface implemented into COSMOS last y...

latest post: mterwoord wrote: forest: ask on mailinglist. Memory manager is a bit furt...

Build Cancelled when Debugging

first post: jordanfung wrote: Hi everyone, I have installed the newest version of cosmos, and i...

latest post: mterwoord wrote: Have you tried to first force a rebuild of the csproj? ...

Filesystem

first post: Csharper101 wrote: Help With Filesystem

latest post: MisirianSoft wrote: Well you get right down to the point :). I am personally on this j...

What happend to the Open COSMOS Aliance?

first post: CBOS wrote: I looked them up last year because I was thinking about joining the...

latest post: MisirianSoft wrote: The OCA has been revived! It is now called the NCA (New COSMOS Alli...

Can't boot Cosmos on real hardware

first post: nilsw wrote: Hello, I downloaded the lastest stable Cosmo release and tryied t...

latest post: MisirianSoft wrote: When I was using the second to newest version of COSMOS I simply b...

Annoying error with Cosmos.targets file

first post: codedfox wrote: Every time I compile (or rather try to) a cosmos c# project in VS 2...

latest post: mterwoord wrote: What's the exact error message? 2014-07-08 23:19 GMT-0...

Networking

first post: KevinCDeGraySr wrote: Does anyone have an example of the networking capabilities? Just ...

latest post: mterwoord wrote: VFS is a next step. We shouldn't work on things we aren't ready fo...

can not create project

first post: vNext2012 wrote: after click ok in create project could not find file D:\Program F...

latest post: Trivalik wrote: Can you try this cosmos setup, its the last checkin with a setup ch...

A Cosmos Comunity Page

first post: stevenator wrote: I feel there should be a page where users who develop with Cosmos c...

latest post: MisirianSoft wrote: When does the poll close? -Jacob Misirian (JacOS.codeplex.com)...

Can the Cosmos run programs *. Exe written for Windows?

first post: Driaan wrote: Can the Cosmos run programs *. Exe written for Windows?

latest post: forest201 wrote: Not yet :) Its a physical memory allocator and GC but after im don...

Cosmos Blackscreen for Dell + Phoenix Bios

first post: forest201 wrote: After the booting from 2 Dell pcs with the Phoenix bios, There is n...

latest post: MisirianSoft wrote: Try burning the ISO to a DVD. And boot from that. I'm sorry that s...

Update on USB support

first post: forest201 wrote: Finally i got USB 2.0 EHCI to work. Now it halts,reset the host co...

latest post: forest201 wrote: Im working on UHCI and OHCI too. Its going good. a little sneak pe...

Library Referance does not work

first post: VeryCrushed wrote: I started a thread about this all the way back in February, apparen...

latest post: Trivalik wrote: I am so sorry. I checked it and made a fix. Please try: http://www....

Infuriating error with GLNFS

first post: MisirianSoft wrote: So I downloaded the dll and pdb for GLNFS, I put both files in my ....

latest post: Trivalik wrote: I guess the whatever is the problem. be sure what you use. My Disas...

How to have an installation within your COSMOS system.

first post: RhysRahPC wrote: Hiya there! I have been developing my own COSMOS system for the pas...

latest post: RhysRahPC wrote: Ok, will try soon. Thanks!!!

Strings used "literally" in code

first post: MisirianSoft wrote: I'm looking for a way to make strings (user input) actually influen...

latest post: joshbeitler wrote: I don't believe that can be done in C# without Reflection, which ...

How to Implement

first post: NaxAlpha wrote: Hi, I have some basic knowledge of low level assembly I have to d...

latest post: NaxAlpha wrote: Great Friend!

Having a problem with login and commands

first post: rojuslap wrote: I am having problems with the login and the commands, this is the c...

latest post: ALLDESP wrote: Goto is considered bad because of it's history not because somethin...